Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Added a pickup to the fleet

That is, in addition to the hypermiled daily driver, the vacationing family wagon, the race car, the bad weather champ (with the winter tires), the sport activity vehicle, etc.

Yeah, it's all the same car.

I envy you folks with the space to keep multiple vehicles for their specialized purposes. Unfortunately city life isn't normally conducive to big garages. Not to mention life in The People's Republic of Chicago is accompanied by big taxes, fees, insurance rates, etc. So I recently expanded the use of my daily driver to include: pickup truck.

Kind of. The trailer was a mere $232 with my 20% off coupon at Harbor Freight. I'm hauling wood, drywall, flooring, etc. for my rehab project with ease thanks to a rather torquey 2.3L turbo.

Previous to that it saw duty at the local race tracks, thoroughly embarrassing cars 2 and 3 times its price

Of course, there are the more standard uses you'd expect from a little Japanese appliance

Still, it's a daily driver, 40 mile commute. I wouldn't mind spending a little less on gas than I do, which led me to ecomodder.com. I have managed to improve the mpg quite a bit, but I've still got a fair ways to go before 30mpg.

I've really been considering trading it in, but what else can I get for the price that can do as much? I've had my eye on the Fiesta, but other than the mpg, it couldn't do much else. Oh well, I guess it's time to start working on that grill block...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Funny thing..Ha. I just got back from a nightclub and parked next to my car was a MS3. I looked at it, and instantly thought, that spoiler on the back is costing 1-2MPG for what I would think to be very little advantage in the downforce dept. Cosmetically, it looks purdy cool, but I think it's functionality doesn't really kick in till the 100MPH+ region. Just some thoughts I had. Good frugality on your part to make the most with what you have, keep up the good work. You may want to do what I did as well and stuff some pipe insulation in the upper grill slits on your car to for a grill block.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifunego View Post
That is, in addition to the hypermiled daily driver, the vacationing family wagon, the race car, the bad weather champ (with the winter tires), the sport activity vehicle, etc.

Yeah, it's all the same car.

I envy you folks with the space to keep multiple vehicles for their specialized purposes. Unfortunately city life isn't normally conducive to big garages. Not to mention life in The People's Republic of Chicago is accompanied by big taxes, fees, insurance rates, etc. So I recently expanded the use of my daily driver to include: pickup truck.

Kind of. The trailer was a mere $232 with my 20% off coupon at Harbor Freight. I'm hauling wood, drywall, flooring, etc. for my rehab project with ease thanks to a rather torquey 2.3L turbo.
Is that the folding H.F. pick'em up? I wish I could get a hitch for my Insight.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverinsight2 View Post
Is that the folding H.F. pick'em up? I wish I could get a hitch for my Insight.
Indeed it is. A veritable 1-2-3.

1:

2:

3:

And that's all. Moments later, the garage starts to fill up like the trailer wasn't even there...

Old 10-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
you mean like this for room (paste the below into google maps)

29.769919,-94.948356

Reply  Post New Thread