Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2023, 01:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Okay, good stuff. Thanks guys. I think using the same longer tuft and measuring airflow down the stock rear end would be a good idea, for the sake of comparison.

I read about “throttle-stop testing”. On the same section of road with similar crosswinds, the car did:

104 km/h at a constant 21 TPS. 5th gear. Basic “fastback” addition.

106 km/h at a constant 21 TPS. 5th gear. “Fastback” addition with an extra stack.

I don’t know if that variance is worth consideration, but I drove the car to work today (with the basic “fastback” attached), and it’s still 104 km/h @21 TPS.

P.S. The Pseudo-Fastback is kind of a pain so far. Had a guy with tailgating me in a Ford Maverick and I couldn’t really tell where his headlights were. I also have no idea where the end of my trunk is; a pain when parking.

Last edited by JacobLeSann; 09-05-2023 at 01:19 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2023, 08:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Drove to Toronto!

Well, in a feat of abrupt planning, I drove this car all the way to Toronto, Ontario! It was around 2600km to get there. I split that into two 13 hour trips. Stayed there for around 4 days and went home on the same route. I haven’t processed all my receipts into data, but it was a very good run!

Like every trip I ever have, I end up doing everything last minute. No matter what I try, it always comes to this process. Here’s what I did:

Here’s the result after I degreased and cleaned the engine bay I wanted to check for any leaks as this engine has been known for cracked blocks from 06-08. Mine seems to have lucked out. The catalyst for doing this was the rear engine mount coming loose. For whatever reason, the bolts had backed out and the engine would love to clang into the skid plate under load at low speed. Glad it wasn’t a throw out bearing! I bolted that back up and put a dab of lock-tite just in case. I also went and adjusted my lifter valves to O.E. spec. I had no idea what I was doing, so I did it maybe 8 times until I knew what felt right. Swapped my disgusting cabin filter for a washable K&N and was amazed at the difference.

I’ve seen a lot of cars with skid plates/under trays blocking the downpipe, and I remember Julian Edgar’s advice of *not* going that route. On my previous trip (to Edmonton), I had a partial grille block attached and the engine tipped above the recommended temp. That tripped the annoying “Fail-Safe” thermostat and made my car hover at like 65 degrees Celsius; being stuck open. This time around, I wanted to have good operating temp with a grille block attached, so I chopped a slit and smacked out a primitive duct for the exhaust. Not tested, so it’s kind of an educated guess.

The full grille block. You can see I made the driver’s side portion removable. The temperatures on the trip would be colder in the morning and warmer throughout the day. A range of perhaps 8-18 degrees Celsius. This ended up being a total fail! Engine overheated only 10 minutes after I left my driveway, at 1:00 am! I ripped off that portion right away. Ended up running at 90-103 Celsius on the first leg of the trip. Cut it right down after that.

The fog light covers aren’t wholly aerodynamic, they’re kinda just there to patch up the bumper. When I bought the car, it was abused by the previous owner. My dad told me to save on zip-ties by using mechanic’s wire to patch it up. Nice sentiment, but total waste of time.

Here’s a fun one. The battery light came on in Thunder Bay! I was stressed. We had already had next to no sleep as my motel room was FUBAR’d and we ended up at a $270 hotel. GF told me to just drive it, and managed. Bought a spare alternator from Fat Guy’s Auto (great service!), and hit the road. The alternator was dropping from 13.7 down to 11.5 volts, but I managed to make it 577 kilometres. I played the hills carefully, and found that dropping it into 3rd and revving it hard would get it to 13-14 volts. Luckily, it crapped out in a parking lot at a gas station. I then realized I had no 19mm box end, and had to get a hand from the owner. Great guys! In the heat of the moment, I slipped the serpentine belt off, and that turned a 1 hour job into a 2 hour job. First time changing one on the roadside, with probably the worst civic engine bay to access. My girlfriend helped out and I’m happy she did. Real keeper.

Here’s the main reason I came: Death Grips! I always thought I was insane for listening to a man screaming about cryptic profanity over absurd electronic sounds, but I guess 1500+ people think otherwise! My previous concert was Roger Waters, so this was the biggest tonal shift I had ever seen. Sweaty, intense, ear-piercingly loud, and absolutely vulgar! People were floating atop the crowd, grappling and fist-fighting, and jumping back and forth maniacally. I couldn’t even get to the front without suffocating. The band played at full power for 1 hour and 45 minutes with no breaks. It was awesome.

Here’s an Australian photo of Niagara Falls. Beautiful at night, as we got stuck in crawling traffic for like 6 hours on the way there. Trying to avoid toll roads was likely the worst mistake of that trip, but there were far more too. I must say I grew absolutely sick of driving there. People in big stupid trucks would ride right behind me in the slow lane and push me to 130 km/h. Other people would block ahead of me at 80 km/h in the fast lane. I won’t even get into the semis, had one repetitively block me from passing, tailgate me, and worse. The speed limit was 90 km/h, and not a single person could manage to do that, at all! The idea of driving 100 km/h with cruise control was like an impossible and abstract concept apparently.

—————————————-

Overall, the car routinely got around 800km per tank. The lowest tank was about 660km due to the stupid traffic jam. The full grille block was a total failure at any temperature, but the partial one worked well. The car’s mileage would absolutely shift as the alternator voltage dropped, and I was very paranoid playing that game.

I do want to travel more, but I’m gonna fix up something I can sleep in. Whether that be a tent, Ute, or wagon. I’m annoyed of terrible city infrastructure. I’m annoyed of “budget” hotels having no amenities, dirty rooms, and rude owners. I’m annoyed of Airbnbs being terrible and costing more than a hotel. Really made the trip stressful.

…..But the car was good on gas!

Last edited by JacobLeSann; 09-24-2023 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Too many words!
Old 09-23-2023, 11:29 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
Pix or it ddn't happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
JacobLeSann (09-24-2023)
Old 09-24-2023, 03:00 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pix

Weird. There were a lot more pics in my post last night. Most of them are gone? Hm. URL is still there too.

Here’s some more pics. Very fun experience but pretty sketchy as that’s the first time I was in a mosh pit. Having to wear glasses is tricky there, nonetheless trying to hold a phone without falling over.

Upside down city skyline…beautiful place. I like the view and all but I’m tired of paying money for toll roads, parking, entry, etc. “How much can we charge this sucker just for existing?” Paying to drive on a road, and one that still has traffic jams…Very dumb.

P.S. I seen a Smyth Ute kit on some kind of 70’s VW Beetle. Was parked at a repair shop on the side of the road in a small Ontario town. Fuels the fires of bad ideas in my mind!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB781C62-66E0-489E-B768-D88B3ACE9CC2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	34186   Click image for larger version

Name:	E01A0734-B5BC-4E6E-B637-034DF9B57A8E.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	34187   Click image for larger version

Name:	962FBE21-2553-48CC-AE6D-C44D3BB1396B.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	34188  

Last edited by JacobLeSann; 09-24-2023 at 03:18 PM..
Old 09-24-2023, 03:20 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

https://youtu.be/2s2s_CPrlQs?si=f6yEqU0KlTZ0J4_I

This was what it was like driving on steep mountain roads. Driver ahead would be smacking the brakes 24/7 while the driver behind would floor it and make dangerous passes on double solids. I was in between. Don’t speak Swedish but I get how he feels!
Old 09-24-2023, 04:07 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No Thanks on this one, it just made me sad.

Old 09-24-2023, 04:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The pics of the concert or the idea of the Smyth Ute Beetle? Personally I don’t like the look or body lines (how do you access the engine?), but the fact that it existed in front of me in a Canadian province was like a sort of green light for ideas I have.

Wish I had better pics of my concert. For lack of a better pun, I had a true “Death Grip” on my phone.
Old 09-24-2023, 04:56 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The joker that wouldn't let him pass on the straights.

The Smyth kits IIRC are for the New Beetle. If it was a 70s, it would have been Domus or BGW or someone.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
JacobLeSann (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 12:17 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah, I was dealing with a semi truck doing something very similar to me on the mountain roads past Lake Of The Woods. I finally got past him, and he started flying towards me down a mountain road hauling a crap ton of logs. I enjoy having an economical car that can also get me far away from hostile drivers. Bleh.

————————————————

While driving back home, there was a big stormy patch with a lot of downfall. I noticed that:

-water wouldn’t flow at the base of the windshield, ahead of the wipers

-water would split off to each of the A-pillars, and sort into the rain gutters

-water wouldn’t really flow down the rear glass. Like, at all. It would sometimes trickle down in random spots, maybe.

Upon getting home, I annoyed my girlfriend by standing and staring at the car while she needed help unloading her stuff. I noticed stains left by dust/water streams. One had spanned the belt-line of the side panels, and wrapped over the C-pillar. The other had trailed down off the rain gutter and onto the trunk lid. It looked a bit turbulent.

I will take some pictures tomorrow, to better explain.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:27 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

In the second image, you can see the two dust streams which wrap around the C-pillar. This is mirrored on the other side. The car has sat for a few days and the streams down the rear windshield aren’t accurate to what it looked like when I first got home. Originally, it was clear. I noticed there is no dust on the rear wing. I believe these are clues leading to the discovery of the counter-rotating vortices that I’ve read about on most notchback cars.

On that topic, I wonder if C-pillar extensions could help guide airflow off the C-pillars as well as capture air better into the captured separation bubble ahead of the pseudo-fastback. Wow, that’s a lot of big words. The first image of this post details what I’m referring to.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB8388FD-6DE5-4F28-B7B9-32CD21C95010.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	34197  
Reply  Post New Thread