Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BTW my figures are highway k's, I'll normally have a blat in the time it takes to use a full tank in city driving.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Function over form!

S14 - '95 Nissan 240sx se
Sports Cars
90 day: 19.89 mpg (US)

S13 - '93 Nissan 240sx base
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.42 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to vrmilionzx
Interesting! So it sounds like you should already be seeing some gains from the suspension mods.

I suspect you're right about peak torque at WOT vs 50% (or less) throttle.

I'll tell you, when I started driving in the city for efficiency, the car felt like a dog. I was used to giving it quite a bit more throttle, and staying on it much longer (higher RPMs). I've kind of gotten used to the "slowness" and seeming lack of power, so that when I do step on it, it's always a lot of fun (because I'm used to going more slowly). Your wheels are lighter, but are they the same width? And are the tires heavier or do they have better grip (more rolling resistance?). There's a good thread about that on here for someone's prius, and how changing to larger wheels hurt their mileage, even though it results in lower RPM's across the board.
While the exhaust almost definitely helps across the board for efficiency (all other things being equal), I'm guessing that with the loss of some of the backpressure from a smaller exhaust, you might drive more like I do in my s14, slightly more aggressively to "recover" that low end torque loss. That's one of the tradeoffs that bothered me most about a larger diameter exhaust.

Also, it sounds like you should be a part of the sports cars team on here! That'll give you an excuse (or we'll just pester you more) to post some pictures! I'd love to see your car! I've been trying to capture parts from S chassis cars from elsewhere in the world, so your pictures might inspire me!

Reply  Post New Thread