Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #41 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Something I'm amazed never gets mentioned, How much is you life worth? Safety should be a primary consideration here since all the fuel savings in the world won't mean crap if your dead or seriously injured.
The presumption of a fatal or near-fatal wreck is faulty- the odds are against it. Waaay against it. The presumption that a certain vehicle will fare better because of what- size, weight, safety ratings- is also faulty. I have seen a VW Rabbit and a Grand Marquis collide; the Marquis got totalled while the Rabbit needed simple repairs. Real collisions aren't as perfectly lined up as the NHTSA crashes.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Physical damage to the car in an accident is a poor indication of how safe the car is. It what happens to the occupants that matters. My grandmother died in a accident in which the car sustained very little damage, the car would have only required a door replacement.

That said the biggest safety feature is not being involved in a accident.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Another Option: 92-95 Civic VX?

Thank you all again for your replies!

The Jeep isn't going anywhere - My wife loves it too much to sell it...My Mustang isn't going anywhere because its relatively cheap to insure (the main reason I got it in the first place was that its actually cheaper to insure a Mustang convertible than a Civic in Miami), it was involved in an accident - and from time to time I like to drive without a roof. - with the top down if I park under a mango tree I'm picking it acts kinda like a pickup :-p

Unfortunately a motorcycle is out - If you have witnessed South Florida drivers in general you'll understand my reasoning ;-)

Yes - was primarily looking at Highway mpg hence me primarily focusing on the tdi and the insight. The insight is the only hybrid I'm considering because of the highway mpg capabilities - Open to options for cars that get 55+ mpg when going 65-70mph.

From more searching around - it looks like a 92-95 Civic VX may be another option? How long do these last before they are useless? - the ones I have found are in the 200K+ miles zone going between $3500-$4500

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 09-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #44 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_Bob View Post
From more searching around - it looks like a 92-95 Civic VX may be another option? How long do these last before they are useless? - the ones I have found are in the 200K+ miles zone going between $3500-$4500
As long as you don't neglect the maintenance they can run nearly forever. I still see a few of them in a good shape back here in Brazil, and their owners usually are satisfied with their fuel consumption.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
insight, metro, tdi