Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Big Bertha aka 2 Ton Tessi - '03 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
90 day: 20.4 mpg (US)
Name Rank VIN lol

My name is Joseph Mancini, but you can call me KillerBeeZ or just BeeZ or anything I'll answer to will work lol

I live in Live Oak Florida, and I really hate it here. Only good thing is that I save gas due to there being no hills or mountains, and we don't have to pay rent. But I'd rather be in Asheville.

I feel I have taken a huge step to being green as I just bought a 03 Dodge Grand Caravan to replace my 88 Cadillac Brougham (land yacht) The van is actually 100 lbs heavier than the Caddy, but even though it has a 3.3l v6 it has about 80 more HP and outruns my wife's Cavalier (acceleration and top speed, not handling or MPG tho real close on MPG)

I haven't had a chance to calculate the MPG of the Caravan but its not as good as I first thought, but a lot better than the 7 city 15 hwy my Caddy was getting there in the end. I'm scrapping the caddy even though the engine and trans are still sound (even after almost 300k miles) I really do love Cadillac.

I have put about 300 miles on the van so far, and to help save gas I've removed the rear bench seat and changed the oil to 5w30 full synthetic.

I have AAA but I will keep my full sized spare tire as I have a 2 year old and I will not be stuck anywhere.

I am going to use that pizza pan mod to cover the rear tires but not the front as the brakes run hot as it is (rear are drum brakes and don't really get hot).

I don't want to cover the front grill at all because everything is pretty tight in there and I believe it needs all the air flow it can get.

When I can afford it I plan on replacing the steel hood and rear lift gate with aluminum and since there are a lot of windows, I can greatly reduce weight by replacing them with lexan (I'd like to know how safe lexan is compared to auto glass in a wreck or with flying debris) I will leave the rest of the steel for safety.

For road safety purposes I will not be adding any wild mods like the boat tail as the idiots round here all seem to have gotten their license at the Flea Market and it is likely some moron will run into me.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread