Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
I caught it in the act

My old sube, it spewed diesel..
I could have sworn it was my imagination... My fuel last winter went way down, then way back up. I got a complaint from a neighbor claiming my car was leaking gas...
I got underneath, found a small puddle of diesel..under the tank. I was baffled. Assumed an old truck used my parking spot. once in a great glimpse, this past year that followed, a big puff of carbon floating around the back window, I shrugged it off, I was playing with cold air intakes and rerouting, and even welding smoke lingers (the intake sucks on body channels)

today, I caught it on video...a big puff like an old mack truck taking off..the smell of diesel to go with it. an entire year of mystery. what do I do? It runs ok, fuel mileage is a yoyo..but mostly going back to the high 30s local I know, even in the cold (what maine hasn't had of it this year)
I hope to swap carb tank for fuel injected (passes stronger standards) in warmer weather, but for now, I have no drain near bottom. Is there another chemical to add to the tank, ensuring thinner and clean?

I did have a hit and run this past september, and it freaked me out..I had just posted some serious welds in the back end on the net..and then got hit in the exact corners I showed...rather than be paranoid, I simply ignored this coincidence...now the outright full blown shot of diesel with a year old pile of evidence...

anyway. moving on...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
I understood you up until:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd73 View Post
I hope to swap carb tank for fuel injected (passes stronger standards) in warmer weather, but for now, I have no drain near bottom. Is there another chemical to add to the tank, ensuring thinner and clean?
Do you mean to install the excellent EJ22 in your Subaru? If you pull one out of a '95-'96 with a stick shift, you can have OBD-II without EGR.

But 135HP is overkill. Maybe an EJ18 with a MPGuino would be better.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

I believe he means gas tanks. Get a stronger, sturdier gas tank from a fuel injected Subie instead of the carb'd engine gas tank.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LeCouch View Post
I believe he means gas tanks. Get a stronger, sturdier gas tank from a fuel injected Subie instead of the carb'd engine gas tank.
of course that is what I meant.
You must be english speaking too, for me it several thousand years documented, it's almost like royalty.

My car, like alot of nicknames here is below it. Where the ej babbles came in lost me...like alot of people, pun intended.

I may stay calm about it until spring, there is 23 years , several long trips, many different sources. I am giving it more air than ever on a pump 3 times bigger than oe (still makes it only 3psi), it may be finding return line stagnite something.

Noone knows of a chemical to dilute diesel? Shoild I go that "heet" route or no? maine already has ethanol in thier fuel, the main reason for adding as much air as possible, with no heat riser.

Ah well, thanks for replies. Even the non-english wannabes stabbing at my award winning writing skills.

I wouldn't be surprised if the buffer changes what I have written. I have found this here..but only once (frank lee had me as a quote I do not recall even writing- bizarre)
Old 01-24-2010, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Sorry, I dint think the buffer did that. Whoever did it, it was AWESOME!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

that or if you want to lighten your car a bit, check out some racing fuel cells from jegs.com some go as low as 80 bucks for a 10 gallon

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
diesel gas