EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   need some advice to up my mpgs (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/need-some-advice-up-my-mpgs-13063.html)

alpine 04-26-2010 02:02 PM

need some advice to up my mpgs

been lurking around for awhile just reading and make some posts.

its time for me to go all out on my love for mpg.

i have a 94 5 sp geo metro coupe

any advice will be considered

bombloader 04-26-2010 02:45 PM

First if you didn't already read the thread 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com. That has everything from the mild to wild fe improving ideas. IMHO, when starting focus on driving techniques initially, because they're basically free. The only exception to this is basic maintenance, if your car has never had a tune-up and your tire pressure hasn't been checked since the tires were installed you should get onto those pronto. Also, keep in mind that just because somebody got great results out of a mod doesn't mean you will. Some mods give better results with certain vehicles or driving situations(e.g. aero mods will give better results if you do a lot of highway than city.)

SentraSE-R 04-26-2010 09:20 PM

Go slow, coast as much as possible, and stop as infrequently as possible. 55 mph roads are better than 65 mph roads, and 35 mph roads are even better.

luvit 04-26-2010 10:46 PM

i used to own a civic hybrid.
the user manual said: don't use the accelerator or brakes.
it really did.

Thymeclock 04-26-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvit (Post 172071)
i used to own a civic hybrid.
the user manual said: don't use the accelerator or brakes.
it really did.

Japanese into English?

Sometimes something gets lost in translation... :rolleyes: :D

datsundude91 04-27-2010 06:48 PM

coast and easy on the accelerator.

I have gotten great results by dwl and coasting as often as I can. I accomplised nearly a 5 mpg increase by those techniques alone. No Jackrabit starts from stoplights or stopsigns.....you'll get there eventually anyway. No need to rush.

ECONORAM 04-27-2010 09:10 PM

I have found just seeing the gallons/hour fuel flow on the MPGuino dramatically changes how I drive. I tend to accelerate more slowly by limiting the fuelflow I see. That alone is helping quite a bit, even with city driving. The link above will give you a lot of advice. I agree, start with the mild costs nothing stuff... My truck will be losing another 100 pounds by this summer if I have my way.

tim3058 04-29-2010 07:17 PM

Vacuum gauge is $40, and/or the MPGuino is $55... either will pay for itself fast. Like they said above, adjusting your driving will have the biggest effect. Timing stoplights helps too (try to coast towards the red til you get a green). Good luck in your pursuits, there's a lot of good advice on here.

Switchblade8588 04-30-2010 02:44 AM

well there is alot of things you can do but driving is always the most effective. After that I would probably start with a grille block, full or not. Moon disks, mirror delete, kammback, theres alot of different ways to go.

What motor do you have? 3 cylinder or 4?

rgathright 04-30-2010 12:42 PM

I find driving 45 Mph in my Honda Accord really helps increase MPG.

Do you use a Scan Gauge II on a daily basis now?