Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Emerald - '97 Honda Civic CXi
90 day: 40.13 mpg (US)
Hi from down under!

Greetings all!

As per the title, I hail from Australia. Currently driving a 90s Toyota Camry wagon that gets about 9 litres to the 100 (around 26 mpg to you USA folk) on the open road, so no great shakes.

Looked into acquiring a Honda Insight ZE1 recently (just moved further from work, increasing my commute from 6km to about 40) but apparently the red tape in this country won't let me have one unless it goes through a many 10s of thousand dollars certification proceedure (a once off for the model) and I can convince a garage to become an official 'compliancer' for them as well, after which anyone would be able to import them for a small compliancing cost (eg. change the headlight bulbs and wiper blades and add an 'unleaded fuel only' sticker, which seems to be it for most cars that have gone through this process). So... nope.

Plan B: I happen to own a Subaru Fiori (aka 700 / Rex / Sherpa) which has some potential, especially contemplating a chop top, laid back windshield and some serious aero improvements at the rear (and possibly some bigger wider tyres - it's been off the road a while for a minor prang in a situation where it REALLY shouldn't have lost grip). The thing has a 700cc engine, weighs next to nothing, and already (last driven a few years back) gets in the ballpark 5l to the 100 (45-ish mpg) if memory serves correctly. Not sure about taking on another project at the moment, but I'm curious how far it could go..

Other relevant interests include:
HPV and hybrid (of the human power - electric sort) design & construction
CFD / FEA analysis
Model aircraft
Computer programmer (by profession)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
I love the subaru Sherpas, those little things are pretty neat. And a lot of folks on here love the metro and the two of them have similar body styles so you might find some good inspiration around here..

Old 08-09-2014, 04:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiii,
I am Abhishikha from India . Here I am using this site for post my own thread and your site is very knowledge able. I have collected so many information about ecomoder system . I want to be thanks to all the members of this site because you sharing here very helpful information for me . Keep sharing .
Old 08-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Welcome to both of you, Maddact and Abhishikha.

A Subaru Fiori? Like this one?

There would be a lot of room for aero improvement on it for your 40km commute. A chop top would be cool looking, I'd bet, but it's really pretty expensive I hear. You could start with the low hanging fruit, like wheel well skirts on the rear wheels, and airdam, pumped up tires, and slowing down to speedlimits or just under when safe. The big gains are always to be had, it seems, in extending the back with a "boat tail." That's a big job, but not as big as chopping and this particular car, with that big square back, would likely benefit a lot.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
That,s a nice little car! I would love to have one in the US!

Old 08-11-2014, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
If you could avoid lowering its top, it might be better. Getting some higher mileage is good, but sometimes it's not really worth to compromise so much the comfort.

Reply  Post New Thread