Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
Yeah, ironically we've gotten closer now that he works so far away. Best part is that I learn more than I ever would at school, but I have a lot of fun doing it. I'd say the best thing you could do with your son is any time you're doing maintenance on your car, take him under the car with you for whatever it may be and let him take off a few bolts or something. I always loved doing that with my dad and you can take the time to teach him about nut sizes, different tools, and how to take care of his own car one day. That's how I learned about all that stuff.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
How many 15 year olds are into hypermiling and aeromodding? haha
I joined here when I just got my temps.

The Focus is a great car for learning to drive in. It handles great, stops quick, and gets good gas mileage which helps save your wallet at the pump.
Don't over do it with too many hypermiling techniques when learning. Just DWL and DWB when learning to drive. Make sure to make an entry for your car in the garage and enter in the fill ups. Welcome to the small, but growing, Focus collective on ecomodder!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
I won't concentrate on hypermiling too much at first, but I won't resist the urge to coast to a stop. I already have spent quite a lot of time driving, but the biggest thing for me will be to learn how to drive a stick shift. I already know how it works, I'm just going to have to get the timing down and learn how not to roll backwards when going up a hill.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
I won't concentrate on hypermiling too much at first, but I won't resist the urge to coast to a stop. I already have spent quite a lot of time driving, but the biggest thing for me will be to learn how to drive a stick shift. I already know how it works, I'm just going to have to get the timing down and learn how not to roll backwards when going up a hill.
Great to see young people learning to drive stick; way to go! Shifting will become second nature in no time.

I gave a group of people a ride in my manual TSX the other night, and the passenger said "you drive a stick, that's so weird". I don't know how it's weird, but usually I get compliments for both my decision to drive a manual, and my skill at handling it.

I'm sure people will think it's neat that you aren't driving an automatic like everyone else.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Betty - '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
90 day: 18.42 mpg (US)

Murray - '95 Buick Century Classic
90 day: 29.64 mpg (US)

NissanSentra - '99 Nissan Sentra GXE
90 day: 27.41 mpg (US)
I recently just taught my brother to drive a stick. I always say the best way to learn is to buy one. Congratulations on not being put off by it, it eventually comes down to muscle memory once you get the hang of it. Another bonus, if the starter goes out, your buddy can push you in the car and you can dump the clutch to get it started again.

Reply  Post New Thread