Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
The PRC.

New EV Coupe and iMEV driving

A couple of articles on EVs came up on a site I visit often which I thought would be worth sharing.

First up a new EV Coupe - the Delta 4.

Quote:
The distinction between ULEV (Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) and ULEnV (Ultra Low Energy Vehicle) is a subtle but important one. Powering an Audi Q7 or a BMW X5 from batteries would turn either into a low emissions vehicle, but we believe this is missing the point since they would still consume a huge amount of energy in any journey. All this energy ultimately has to come from somewhere, even if it’s from renewable sources, and we believe that over the next few years a sharper focus will gradually fall on reducing all cars’ energy consumption.

Building a car that consumes significantly less energy will allow us to consider a wide variety of choices for energy storage, from hydrogen to batteries. We’re not ruling anything out however – we’ll also consider gasoline and diesel versions in the future if we feel there’s a suitable market. The most important thing is to get the fundamental architecture of the vehicle right, and the rest will follow.

We’ve been right back to basics to remind ourselves of the fundamentals of energy consumption in road cars. Minimising a car’s weight as well as optimising its aerodynamics and mechanical efficiency is a process that’s second nature to us from many years in motor sport. Our innovative approach and the range of design and simulation tools we use for our motorsport projects is applicable directly to this project, but the focus on achieving a viable selling price poses a whole new set of challenges.

The first car we build will be plug-in battery electric, offering a range of up to 250 miles. The focus on reducing the car’s weight added to the great torque characteristics of electric motors will also give phenomenal performance and handling.
Looks quite nice too.

Secondly driving impressions of the iMev, which is also being sold (leased) by Citroen & Peugeot here.

Quote:
My passenger, who has been evaluating the i-MiEVs for some time, counselled that I should take particular care when pedestrians are around. Many of the county’s residents cross roads by ear, reserving their visual faculties for their smartphones. They should be very afraid – the Silent Death is about to take to the streets.

NeilBlanchard (05-27-2011), Ryland (05-27-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The Delta would have been at the X-Prize except for a fire that destroyed their chassis. As the article you posted mentions, Robert Llewellyn has (briefly) driven this car:

I think the Delta 4 should be called a 2+2 -- the rear seat headroom looks to be cramped.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 05-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
The PRC.

I didn't know the Delta was in the X-prize - the article I linked to was quite new and mentioned 'launch'.

Looks nice though - still racking my brains as to where the front lights come from, Celica perhaps ?