Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The 'Vic - '96 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 39.3 mpg (US)
New to forum/wheel covers

Hello, I just bought a 1996 Honda Civic DX with a 5 speed to start to function as my daily driver. I have been interested in ecomodding for a while now but haven't had the right vehicle for the job. My other car is a 2006 BMW 530i which already has full underbody trays and a solid Cd of .28. I get about 28 to 30 mpg consistently with a lot of highway driving and would like to do better on the Civic.

First off I have been working on repairing the issues with it, which hasn't taken long. New tie rods, tires, fix some interior problems and it will be painted next week hopefully. I wanted to add a grille block. I found a nice piece of black plastic at lowes, about 4 inches wide, 6 or 8 feet long and flexible enough. I was planning on cutting that to shape and putting it in the lower grille to partially block airflow, while still allowing some through.

The car has 13" steel rims. I wanted to get some sort of hub caps on them for aero and appearance. I found a great deal online for 13" aluminum pizza pans that are thin and very light weight (just purchased 4 for $18 shipped on Amazon, Winware 13" coupe pizza trays). What is the preferred method to mount these? I know about mounting them on top of a hub cap but that seems clunky.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience/success with alternate mounting methods? I was thinking about hard drive magnets riveted to the tray. I have access to a bunch of them and they grab like crazy.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
hawk2100n -

Welcome to EM! I don't think we've had a reliable design for magnetic wheel covers. They won't work for shear forces, they will slide apart.

This thread starts with plastic covers, but ends up with Pizza pans :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...isk-11838.html

I know Saturn copied Honda, so you should have the same bolt configuration, but you may not have the external threads on your lugnuts, .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-24-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread