Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to Tippey764 Send a message via MSN to Tippey764
New here with 1990 civic " HF "

Hey guys I've bee lurking around here for a few weeks and finally decided to join now that I've nearly finished my car

The car in question started off in life as a top of the line 1990 honda civic ex automatic sedan. It offers over the LX, larger front brakes, nicer seats, and an MPFI d16a6 from the crx/civic SI as well as having power windows, locks, mirrors and cruise control which none of the hatch backs or DX sedans had.

Here's how it looked when I got it

I picked it for $500

The engine was burning more oil than my friend smokes cigarettes and the auto transmission has no 3rd gear. I didn't notice the burning oil since I never drove it until after I replaced the transmission. So I swapped it out and started driving the car and then the engine blew up a week later. I decided to pull everything, swap the car to a manual and put a crx HF engine into it

Here's my new engine on its way home

Yes it's inside my 1992 accord lol. It wanted to tip over on every right turn

Looks fairly decent inside

Transmission hooked to it was ****ed though. That's why I got the engine for so cheap

Input shaft bearing

Input shaft and part of the bearing race lol

I ended up picking up a civic DX transmission for it. I will swap the HF final drive gear on at a later date though.

The engine going into the car on the second attempt. On the first attempt the pin on the engine lift leg fell off and the whole ****ing lift tipped over and smashed my fender in. Good thing the fender was already damaged.

Pretty much buttoned up in this picture with the exclusion of the egr valve

I received the original intake, ecu and exhaust with the swap as well

Swapped out the pedals to 5 speed versions

Had the center tunnel of the car cut the junkyard off so I could properly mount the shifter

The center tunnel plate I made up having high temperature silicon cauk ( however you spell that word ) applied to it

It's bolted up from under the car. It gave me the ability to mount the rubber boot for the shifter and seal up the holes

Lastly I wired the EGR

There is a junkyard near me that had two crx HF's so getting ahold of the control box was no issue

So the car is nearly done. I'm waiting on a straight pipe so I can complete the exhaust. The new engine has the catalytic converter located on the manifold so I deleted the one under the car. I am also going to mount the civic HX wheels from my Integra into it.

I've driven the car and it drives fine but it's slow as **** ( obviously )

This Saturday I'm taking it on a trip to Philadelphia to see how it does. If everything does well then I will be taking it on a trip to lad vegas next Wednesday. Lets hope everything goes well

Anyways what do you guys think?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I can't believe nobody has commented on this thread yet. EXCELLENT work dude! I love the EF sedans and have thought about attempting something like this one day with my spare VX engine. Any updates on this project?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

Mo' Mon-nay! - '00 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 52.26 mpg (US)

Carbon Silver - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.2 mpg (US)
i just saw this thread; damn lots a' work man!

gonna be a good little sipper tho! i for sure dont have the guts to open up a transmission! you must be smart or something..... then i saw the silicon gasket weld for the shifter boot and i questioned that assumption! hahaha get yerself a welder!

seriously tho, thats quite a swap - pedals and all! keep up the good work!

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam
Old 04-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am a newbie joined just in this forum, and would like to say Hi, to all the members participating in the discussions.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Wow, how much automotive experience do you have? How long did all of this take?

The most that I ever did was change an alternator and it took me a week, but most of that time was spent trying to unstick one bolt!

Great job!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lightbulb Weight reduction

I replaced the lead acid battery with a 14lb AGM battery. they go for $40 on EGAY , It starts everytime, search 12v 20ah or 12v30ah for the larger one. This is a cheap and easy way to boost MPGs

Reply  Post New Thread