Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New from Illinois, US

Hey, im new to being a member but have always lurked in the shadows reading articles. I am a bit nervous making my purchase.

The car is a 00 honda insight 5speed. The pack is 4years old and i checked your check list on here when i looked at the car and everything looks great (motor mount, cat, tires, etc.) but i do have concern for the battery. He said they are bad but i did not see any dash lights on. the average mpg was 57.8 or so.

I read that i can just flip the switch on the battery box to off and drive it like a normal gas vehicle. is this true or is there more i must do. i dont really care too much for the battery right now. can someone chime in and teach me please? thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

05 Prius (wife's) - '05 Toyota Prius package 5
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.32 mpg (US)

Citrus - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)
Welcome! you are in luck! its very easy to bypass the battery! Hybrid Automotive - Honda Insight (2000-2006) Battery Bypass Instructions
also you may check out insightcentral.net
Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thats great news. thanks for the link, i saved it.

when in the car, i do not see any errors on the dash stating IMA or anything. should i wait for that error to occur before disabling?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

05 Prius (wife's) - '05 Toyota Prius package 5
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.32 mpg (US)

Citrus - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingndc View Post
thats great news. thanks for the link, i saved it.

when in the car, i do not see any errors on the dash stating IMA or anything. should i wait for that error to occur before disabling?
Yes I would wait. usually what happens if the IMA light will come on first indicating a problem, then as time goes on and get worse and worse the red 12v battery and brake light will come on, when that happens it means your dc converter is no longer charging your 12v battery under the hood. when that happens its usually let than 1 hour before the 12 volt battery runs outta juice and then the car dies. so personally I would run the car until the IMA light comes on before I disconnected it to run gas only, I would really recommend reading on Insightcentral.net to learn more about your car! also you have other options to prolong the battery's life, as in purchasing or making a grid charger. you can find out more about grid charging on insight central or the link for the battery bypass I gave you in the last post.

Reply  Post New Thread