Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
The plan is wider than the template in the rear, but as I understand it, it's better to go at less of an angle, than greater than template angle.

Would be a good candidate for a Beaver-Tail though.

Automobile 2 - Odds and Ends pictures by kach22i - Photobucket
Thanks, kach22i. That pic says it all.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
how well

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
Looks sweet, Phil!

I'm wondering how well this plan view follows the template. From widest point it seems to "curve" to terminal taper (ie, ~22 deg ostensibly) about one-half width behind the widest point, then pretty much taper back "straight" from there.

Are my eyes just playing tricks on my brain?
These were the first sketches to help my pea-brain get itself wrapped around all the compound curvature.
Since the 'Template' was originally intended as an aid for aft-body streamlining only,it was kinda late in the game before I even considered doing the other views.I figured that members would have to work from what they already had,so any other views would never satisfy a one-size-fits-all remedy for the vehicle mix.
With T-bar,triangles and french curve I estimate that to do a full rendering would take a troglodite like myself a 'semester.'The compound curvature is perhaps the most difficult to render,especially orthogonal projections which ca really show off the contours.
You guys may have actually had more time to actually 'look' at the drawings.
With everything else competing for my time I put the drawings down a year ago,hoping for a lull at some point.
Now I can see certainly see that I kinda got the cart before the horse.And it's very important to get a sense of what these pumpkin seeds look like from overhead and from front or rear.
I've got a number of plan-views to share in a separate dedicated thread.I think that they will really help.
For now,I would recommend that everyone be acquainted with W.A.Mair's boat tail work.Look at the distance he has taken to bend the body contour into maximum slope.
I'll try and get to the other pumpkin seeds on as soon as I can.
It's income tax time.I've got a bunch of family-related work to do.There's a femme-bot in Ft. Worth that's getting some of my time,and Bonneville is looming on the horizon.And I need to be working for income.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

match

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Rear view does not seem to match plan, I suggest flattening the tail (Beaver Tail).

Automobile 2 - Odds and Ends pictures by kach22i - Photobucket
There won't be a match between the 'Template' and Morelli's form.They are two completely different animals.
The 'Template' is more the pumpkin seed,derived from 1/2 of a streamline body of revolution.
Morelli's form is more a von Mises wing section and requires a fully-elliptical body cross-section,something hard to adapt a production automobile to,with unit construction body.
They really shouldn't be compared to one another.Apples and oranges!
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Will382 (03-07-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
Looks sweet, Phil!

I'm wondering how well this plan view follows the template. From widest point it seems to "curve" to terminal taper (ie, ~22 deg ostensibly) about one-half width behind the widest point, then pretty much taper back "straight" from there.

Are my eyes just playing tricks on my brain?
Bob,sorry so late with specific reply!
When I was noodling the images I realized that for its height,to revolve the radius would produce a vehicle so wide that it would extend beyond the footprint of all vehicles,except maybe the Schlor Car.
The 'solution' to the width for these pumpkin seeds,appears to be using a lowest drag section contour for the plan-view,and streamline body of revolution for the elevation.
And then you do the best you can to morph the two together.
Jaray did this.Also Kamm,Reid,Heald,Lay,So Cal Speed Shop,MG EX181,Mickey Thompson,Korff,AeroVironment,Honda,etc..
There has to be room for all the innards so a compromise is necessary to accommodate all the mechanicals and occupants.
Body-on-frame type vehicles would be the easiest to mod,as you can simply unbolt and discard unwanted major body elements ( like converting a HUMMER H3 into a Colorado pickup ),then modifying the Colorado bed and covering.That would take you from Cd 0.51 to below Cd 0.2 without adding any length.
I'll get the other images up as soon as I can.Onlyn then will things become really clear.
Appreciate everyone's patience.
The body taper almost necessitates a narrower rear track as EV-1 and 1st-gen Insight which is reflected in the drawing.
If you imagine the T-100 for instance,I'd lose the original rear end and substitute in one out of an S-10/s-15,or Ranger,section the floor of the bed and wrap the bed rails around to agree with the teardrop taper ( as you could kinda see on the Dodge mock-up).

Reply  Post New Thread