Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Second time's the charm - '04 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.26 mpg (US)

Tengu - '11 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 sport
90 day: 19.73 mpg (US)
04 Honda Accord

I've posted before and bought my scangauge a while back, but I couldn't really calibrate it due to car troubles. I have now come to own an 04 4 cylinder honda accord automatic. I didn't have too much say in the actual car and I can't complain about getting a car. I was wondering if there's anything about the car I should know about, like specific mods, quirks, and the like.

The only real plan I have at the moment is to purchase a part that I can hook up to the radio to have an ipod compatible radio. So taking apart the dash is about my only hardship. I did remove the two front wheels to clean them, it's getting taken to the shop tomorrow for some final adjustments before I actually start driving it. Seems to drive okay, and my dad is a big car guy and he seemed to think it was running good. He changed the oil while I cleaned the wheels.

I also can't seem to find the plug for the scangauge, granted I spent like 30 seconds looking for it, I found it odd that it wasn't in plain sight.

Hopefully this car will last, and won't burden me like the saab.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Formula SAE Engineer

I had a 2005 V6 6-speed Honda Accord coupe, and loved every last minute of it. When I considered taking apart the dash and installing some new audio equipment, I found out that on the 03-05 Accords, it's really just a pain in the butt. Everything's kind of in one piece as far as the radio goes, so good luck!

As far as the shape of the car, it's brilliant for aero mods. It's a really good initial shape that could easily become an Ecomodder masterpiece! IMHO

I had ideas for the car while I had it, but I sold it and now I just walk and bike everywhere.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah I've watched a couple of videos but it doesn't look too hard because I'm not going to change the radio. The adaptor should easily plug into the underside of the radio, then I just have to drill a hole in one of the little pockets and voila.

I'm just kind of excited to see how it does on my daily commute, it's a long drive mostly country road involving a 55 mph speed limit. The only problem is that it's a well traveled road and you never know who you're going to get stuck behind. I've been looking at alternative routes but there just doesn't to be much choice.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Formula SAE Engineer

It's too bad the 6-speed is only for the V6. A 6-speed on the vtec I4 would have been gas mileage heaven.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A friend suggested I take off the mudflaps so that's an easy first deletion, I just did the first fillup today, things are looking good so far.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Formula SAE Engineer

I fell in love with that body style and loved every minute of owning mine.
Mudflaps got to go. Good move.
Get rid of front license plate!
The car is already a lovely aerodynamic shape. I think it should do well with a front to rear underbody!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Unfortunately state law requires two plates, probably wouldn't get pulled over for it but it can easily be added on to other offenses. I'm clean so far, and I'm keeping it that way.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Formula SAE Engineer

I wish we could get British license plates =P
Old 09-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've been driving it as is for a little bit before I start changing anything and I'm really liking the car. I think that 5th gear really makes a difference in my commutes, I go to school 5 times a week the drive is about 50 miles there and back. I try to go 55 but a lot of people will get on you for going 55 mph. So I've been compromising I try not to go above 60 and at 60 mph I'm barely at 2000 rpm. It's easily making a difference in the high speed part of my commute.

I haven't got around to taking off the mudflaps yet, but I think even before that I might go with bumping up the tire pressure. I'm not too keen on body mods, I think at most I'd do a full/partial grillblock and I've been looking into underbody paneling as my friend has done so on his car. That's in the future though. The grillblock might be more likely as winter is coming.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Formula SAE Engineer

Good deal man. I sure noticed that running around 2000 rpm reallllllly improved my gas mileage. If you do an underbody, make sure you curve the back of it upwards and try to make it flush with the rear bumper. A completely flat underbody won't do you much good.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
accord, honda, hypermiler