Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Second time's the charm - '04 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.26 mpg (US)

Tengu - '11 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 sport
90 day: 19.73 mpg (US)
What's great is that I am friends with another user and he took me to where he tested his car for some mph vs mpg runs. We did a little impromptu testing and recorded the data put it into a simple graph on excel. I can post it when he emails it to me. I think the best part of the trip for me was when we returned to his house I was able to squeeze 40 mpg out of car only by adjusting the nut behind the wheel. Definitely looking forward to when I can start adding mods and other applications to my car.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Formula SAE Engineer

Heck yeah man! Driving like you want to save money makes a huge difference!
On my parent's BMW 328i, it has a range indicator based on average mpg. When I do my best driving, I've increased the range by over 50 miles!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Second time's the charm - '04 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.26 mpg (US)

Tengu - '11 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 sport
90 day: 19.73 mpg (US)

I'm always told to talk about the reliability of my data, but the list goes on and on. You know the deal, was the road actually smooth? You take temp., wind speeds, landscape, and all that jazz into consideration. On top of recording measures. The scangauge has only been calibrated on one tank so far so it could still be overestimating or underestimating. This was sort of an impromptu test to get me sort of used to some of the methods involved in doing tests for fuel economies.

A little scary doing the 80 mph run (during late night out in the corn of Illinois) especially considering my friend had to have complete trust in me as he watched the scangauge and was taking down times and other data for me. I did get to use cruise control for once (ha). An actual reason for me to even use cruise control. The stretch of road was approx. .8 miles and we would do runs down and back the stretch so the total distance was about 1.6. I have some other data he took down. I need to give props to my friend as he's the mathematician, there's no way I would've known which formulas to use plus there's no way I would've done this on my own too. Also need to give thanks where thanks is due because he also got me into hypermiling and I'm a fan of saving money when I'm putting myself through college.

Tags
accord, honda, hypermiler