Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
New route win!

If you want to go north or west out of town then you're going over one bridge that's got two northbound lanes, and in a normal universe that wouldn't be a problem. Here, we've got the only big mall in the area and an Air Force base turned into a major office park just south of the bridge. They throw four on-ramps at the highway right after it has a lane reduction. It's an ugly mess at rush hour. On Friday nights it hurts. On Friday nights before long weekends or good ski conditions it's almost not worth it. Now that we're this close to Christmas it's brutal.

Sometimes one of the cool kids decides that he can get one car length ahead in the traffic mess with a badly timed lane change. If we're all really lucky, he does it a bit south of the last on ramp so at least some people can get home, but usually it's on the bridge. Then the people that aren't trapped on the road all go east into Maine and fight their way up a back road and then through another downtown to get back on the highway.

On Friday I had to swing downtown on my way out of work and wasn't looking forward to getting by the mall and the bridge- then I checked Waze and saw an accident. I took that back road. Instead of making my way around to the highway I kept on this secondary route until it ended and then took local roads all the way back home.

Normal route home, "ideal" conditions: 40 minutes.
Normal route home, conditions as good as you can realistically hope for: 50 minutes.
Normal route home, normal conditions: 1 hour, maybe 1:05.
This back road: 1:20. Lack of familiarity added to that, but I wasn't starting out at work, so maybe it balanced out.

So it looks like a waste of time except that in warmer times I can see 50+ mpg on the morning commute and 40+ mpg on the way home. This time of year it's an amazing day when I'm in the high 40s in the morning and I'm generally in the high 30s on the way home- on Thursday morning I closed out a tank at 39.83 mpg. Friday on the way home I got 50.3 mpg! Lower speeds and fewer traffic opportunities really help the numbers. I can't make that my new route home, but maybe I can use it one or two nights a week. Tonight I'll see how going that way directly from work compares to the monkeying around downtown that I had to do. Time to do some A-B-C-D-E-F testing, trying out different start routes and different ways of popping through the one little downtown where I have choices.

It's nice to have a new project for my commute. It'll be sweet if I can make this work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (12-16-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Beating EPA Unmodded

Blue Eagle - '10 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)
Interesting. Back roads around here are very bad, so I wouldn't be expecting to get higher than 30 MPG on them.

I've been thinking about changing my "normal" route as well, since I hate going through the morning traffic. Unfortunately, the only non-main road around here that can get me to school is closed and has lots of stop signs. I would take that route if there weren't so many darn stop signs.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I tested it last night. The beginning was smoother than I had hoped- incredibly easy to get to he route from work. The few lights can be seen from far enough away that they can be gamed, and there are so few cross roads that you don't run the risk of having your glide down to the light interrupted by cars popping out in front of you.

I was running late and had to cut back to the main highway halfway home- and then got on the wrong road to do so, adding time and forcing a bit of a rush. Still, rushing back to the highway only dropped me to 48 mpg for the first half of the run, and the highway leg dropped me to 44, I think.

This is going to help, if I can afford the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Reply  Post New Thread