Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
New transmissions with no torque convertors...

Passing Fear: Do Fuel Economy Gains Compromise Quick Acceleration?: Scientific American

"Let's say a driver approaches a red light at 80 kilometers per hour (50 miles per hour) and coasts to slow down, then the light turns green and he or she floors the accelerator. As the car slows down, the transmission automatically downshifts into lower gears, but a sudden command to increase speed reverses that process and the transmission has to find the proper gear for quick acceleration. With new technology introduced in the past couple of years to meet upcoming fuel economy standards, drivers of a small handful of the latest Ford, Chevy, GMC, Volkswagen, Mitsubishi models may feel engine hesitation when they goose the accelerator, which is a source of frustration, at minimum, to many drivers. But is it more than an annoyance? Is it a safety risk as well? Carmakers say no.

"It makes noises that are different and feel different, but it's performing and working exactly like it should," says Richard Truett, Ford's power-train communications manager.

Nevertheless, Jonathan Linkov, managing editor of autos at Consumer Reports, says it can be "scary" if a driver doesn't feel immediate acceleration as the car tries to zip in front of traffic. Linkov says Consumer Reports found such performance issues when testing the brands noted above. So, carmakers are working to respond to complaints from consumers about the performance changes without compromising fuel efficiency."

"The gear box in these transmissions is also about nine kilograms lighter, and thereby more efficient, than a regular six-speed automatic transmission, because a torque converter is no longer required to move fluid around to spin its input shaft. Truett says this system has resulted in fuel economy gains of 8 to 10 percent, compared with a four-speed automatic transmission."

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Perhaps giving consumers Accords that now have greater acceleration than older Corvettes has encouraged them to drive recklessly and take stupid risks as in darting into some little "hole" in traffic that they shouldn't try to be in anyway. If one is causing the trans to go into downshift mode frequently (when the vehicle is lightly loaded and/or not going up steep grades) that could be a sign that they are driving like an ass.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Wife's Hot Rod - '09 Pontiac G8 GT
Last 3: 23.22 mpg (US)

Big Outback - '13 Subaru Outback 2.5i

Little Outback - '02 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
My Mitsubishi does that now. If you are cruising along & "smack the loud pedal" the transmission hesitates, as it downshifts a few gears, before it lets the fun begin.
As Frank so eloquently put it, it normally happens while driving like an ass.

Don
Old 09-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Automated manual transmissions like DSG shift up when you let go of the throttle - mimicing coasting.
They shift down when speed drops below the threshold for a given gear.

Even on VW's highly acclaimed DSG boxes, forced downshifts are a tad slow and jerky compared to the brilliant upshifts.
Yet these gearboxes still shift faster than most mortals that drive manual cars.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Drive a car with a turbo if you want to experience real response lag!

I have to agree with other commenters - this is a non-issue. Drive any car with an automatic transmission and a few miles on it, and you'll experience a time gap between stomping the pedal and having anything actually happen. BFD.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonR View Post
My Mitsubishi does that now. If you are cruising along & "smack the loud pedal" the transmission hesitates, as it downshifts a few gears, before it lets the fun begin.
As Frank so eloquently put it, it normally happens while driving like an ass.

Don
I never really understood this or why an article would be written about it, on every autotragic I have driven over the last 16 years I have always selected the gear I wanted when I assumed I would be driving like an asse. In fact I've saved several transmissions this way because I noticed they were not shifting correctly. Dodge is notorious for the auto transmission not down shifting on its own, mine was staying in 4th at stop signs.

Perhaps people need to learn that they can control the car they drive.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Twuck - '06 Ford F-150
90 day: 17.82 mpg (US)

Rudolph - '95 BMW R1100 GS
90 day: 35.37 mpg (US)

Terrifying - '02 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
90 day: 28.4 mpg (US)

Big Red - '13 Ford F-150 XLT
90 day: 18.96 mpg (US)
Now, just a darn minute....

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
Passing Fear: Do Fuel Economy Gains Compromise Quick Acceleration?: Scientific American

"As the car slows down, the transmission automatically downshifts into lower gears, but a sudden command to increase speed reverses that process and the transmission has to find the proper gear for quick acceleration."
Wait, what? Downshifting as you slow down should leave you in a better gear to accelerate at your new, slower speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder
Automated manual transmissions like DSG shift up when you let go of the throttle - mimicing coasting. They shift down when speed drops below the threshold for a given gear.
Ok, that makes more sense. But I'm still not seeing the difference between that and a traditional automatic transmission that has to kick down into a lower gear when you whack open the throttle.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The only two vehicles with automatics that I drive are the work truck with a partly wore out transmission and my bosses Saab 93 with twin turbos, both of them have a big lag, you get used to it in less then 5 minutes of driving, it's not a danger unless you are trying to cut someone off or driving in some other unsafe manner.

Reply  Post New Thread