Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Thanks bondo. I am indeed at CCS and a sponsored project with Hagie (crop sprayers) last year taught me a lot about designing larger vehicles. Perhaps there is a way to adapt the current vehicles to more aero shapes. Different doors and more fairings? I don't know. It would be neat to work with semis, as they're not just all styling like cars are. It's more of a challenge, and there are so many improvements to be made!

Job search is hard work but I think I have something to offer

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
This is a nice design. I am trying to figure out how the tractor trailer interface allows for any turning radius.
Make the external plating move over the circular shaped front of the trailer.
Sort of what Aerohead is doing with his streamlined trailer.
By carefully locating the covering plates and the circular front in relation to the kingpin, you'd only need to cater for minor deviations - mostly those caused by both parts of the rig heaving and diving or flexing.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
MB does not sell any trailers to my knowledge so they could do much more that would give ideas to trailer manufacturers. They would not point out in any way that their trucks arent streamlined or harm the truck sales. MB trucks are IMO best what is out there at the moment when it comes to fuel efficiency.

You can use any trailer in your current truck so that is more important to start the evolution from the trailers. There are 4 key elements that should only matter:

1. costs and with this I mean lifetime costs
2. cd value
3. Weight of the trailer
4. how much m2 you can load inside the trailer.

So design aerodynamic and lightweight trailer that is cheap to manufacture you are the winner in the short run. If you also can increase the inner volume even better. You can do all this inside current EU laws if you know what you are doing.

I dont even know the reason why companies release that kind of studies if they don`t have the balls to make them. In my opinion MB only show their lack of engineering skills. They have wasted about million euros or more to design that prototype and its not giving any new products that could be better than current products on the market. I havent found any 1:1 photos of that trailer even it should be at Trailer 2011 fairs at the moment. I believe that it is only small scale desing study made by some designers. Sure it looks nice because it made by designer.

- Good engineer knows tons of different manufacturing methods and how to use them in intellectual way to create something new and innovative.
- Engineer should also know what the end users are ready to accept to their work environment.
- Good engineer don`t accept current solutions but wonders what could be done different and better than current models. If you are not able to create something better you take the next best solution (most engineer take this route).
- Engineer should not let designers ruin their genious ideas, because they look different etc. Desingers can do their magic in thing that dont matter to the engineer. I know this is a hard task to swallow but that`s how it should be.

I put it this way which one is easier to find really good engineer or designer?

If you are a engineer you respect those people who have the skills to design something new and innovative.

What comes to costs to design new truck sure its more expensive than to make only small visual changes. But the body of the truck is just steel beams welded together why don`t just make new model and set so high goals that it will be a sales success. If you design and engineer a truck and trailer combination that would be 20% more fuel efficient. Only few company would care how it shold look like. That is million per year fuel savings in big trucking companies. For superior product you could ask higher price to cover the costs. To make something like that truck is just waste of money with zero benefit.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Make the external plating move over the circular shaped front of the trailer.
Sort of what Aerohead is doing with his streamlined trailer.
By carefully locating the covering plates and the circular front in relation to the kingpin, you'd only need to cater for minor deviations - mostly those caused by both parts of the rig heaving and diving or flexing.
Fish scales.
regards
Mech
Old 11-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #25 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Cross posting:
Mercedes Aero Trailer

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 12-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Grand Imperial Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
I am trying to figure out how the tractor trailer interface allows for any turning radius.

Bondo
That is my company's 2015 concept vehicle.

All the air gaps between the tractor and the trailer and the complete perimeter ground effects are dynamic and are shown in their deployed state.

Reply  Post New Thread