Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Newbie with a new 06 dodge ram diesel to hyper mile

I've been reading this forum for a long time and learning alot not just about hypermiling but physics in general. This is a very useful forum and I'm finally ready to working on my own project. I recently purchased a 2006 dodge ram 2500 diesel, 6 speed, 4x4, quad cab. The truck had a blown engine and I got it for a song. My mechanic specializes in 3.9 liter cummins diesel swaps. This particular swap is a very easy one (or hopefully he is in the process of it right now) because everything bolts right up. It already has the right motor mounts and adapters to bolt right into place. I went with the 3.9 for a few reasons. One it was cheaper than rebuilding the 5.9 that was in it. Two I know the older 12 valve mechanical cummins diesel inside and out because I've owned them since I was 16 and it makes it easy for me to fix and work on. The 3.9 is essentially the same engines as the 5.9 with two less cylinders. The 3.9 came out of 2.5 ton UPS truck and have all along been a better fit for pickups but 5.9 were better for marketing purposes and power hungry american consumers. Finally and most of all I'm hoping to improve on fuel mileage over the 5.9. I'm realistic and I don't expect ridiculous number but I hope for some improvements. I will doing some upgrades to it to add a little power and improve the efficiency of the engine. So far the improvements I have planned are: head studs for longevity, injectors for better atomization of the fuel and a little more power, turbo off the 5.9 to improve efficiency and more air to match injectors. Also exhaust to improve on flow. Water meth injection as well as propane injection. Right now propane is half the price of diesel in my area so it will be a worthy mod. I'm not going to be greedy on power but I want to be at least where the common rail standard outputs were when they came out in 03, 250 horse and 450 lbtq.

In addition to I'm shopping for the right, most fuel efficient tire and wheels. I'm looking at different gears but unfortunately I can only go 3.42's (it hurts to see my 1990 dodge diesel go with rare 3.08 gears it but there's no way I can make a swap with those). I'm also looking at waterless coolant with a hotter thermostat but that is proving to be a tougher modification than I would think. Synthetic fluids are on the list. I will be looking a lot more into aero improvements as well. Changing up the ridiculously large mirrors is on top of the list. Tonneau cover with a roof fairing looks like a great mod. I'm very interested with the roof fairing mod but not even sure where to start with that. So I'm open to any suggestions with that as I don't fully understand it. As well as a front air damn and possible even some grill blocks/shutters or undercarriage improvements.

I realize this forum is mostly people with little cars but I really need a large full size trucks. It will spend alot of time hauling very large loads it was designed for, 9 tons of hay, 6 horse gooseneck trailer, a camper, ect. It will also be my commuter car. I tried every way I could to figure out how I can add a commuter car into the mix but for many different reason it just won't work for me.

Anyway this is my project. It should be done from the mechanic at the end of next month with the new engine installed. I will keep you all updated on some of the improvement and what it does for fuel economy. In the meantime I'm open to any suggestions and criticism you all have for the what I'm planning to do. I won't post any speculation on what I hope to get but instead just see what happens. Oh and BTW I also realize driving style is a big one, so save the clever driver improvement puns. Yes I agree with it but there's not much to be said with that other than "learn to be a better driver."

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When the site lets you, please post some photos. I've subscribed to this thread so I can follow your progress. Sounds like a great project.

Joggernot
Old 12-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Rental - '13 Hyundai i30
90 day: 37.55 mpg (US)

Autocross - '04 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 24.76 mpg (US)

The Wifes - '02 Ford Focus SVT
90 day: 23.54 mpg (US)
there are a few trucks on here. Their builds are always interesting because it a much less ideal shape to begin with.
If you are serious about hypermiling, an aero canopy will be one of the most effective mods.
also grill block, air dam, belly pan, rear skirts, wheel moon covers.

a lot of these things I wish I could do to my dad's truck, but I don't think he's open to the idea.

good luck out there.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I will be sure and post pics when I can. I would go with an aero canopy if you could actually buy them. I have mechanical skills but making a canopy yourself is more of a skill in fine artwork, which I do not have. I've read on here a roof fairing and half toneau cover will yield you almost the same as an aero bed. So I think I will start there. Half moon covers and a boat tail probably won't happen either. But a solid alloy wheel like I have on my truck now are cheap, light, strong, and won't churn up as much air as most every other wheel with holes in it. I would like to experiment with grill blocks, air dams and belly pans though. We will see.

Reply  Post New Thread