Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
tpr
EcoModding Lurker

Newbie: Trailer, wind deflector, magic speed?

Hi guys and gals, or hens as we say nowadays in Sweden.

I started thinking about hauling some larger weight around and it got me thinking of which way is the best?

It all started when my wife needed a car for a job she couldnt refuse due to a substantial larger paycheck. I said we should buy a Smart Fortwo. She asked what we should do with the kids?(wasn't the car so she could get to work i humbly asked a couple of times?...) She thought an Aygo was the answer to ours needs. I of course disagreed and has now mowed through the range Smart Fortwo to a Hyndai Trajet and landed in the conclusion that, what the hell, why not buy a Ford Tourneo Connect? Reasonable fuel efficency and some seriosly room for cargo! Larger than an Aygo atleast for the kids in the back aswell.

Ok, so I want to move around some stuff. Lets say it will be around 500-600 KG. This will have effect on the fuel efficency no doubt, and extra 100 kg is 5% more fuel burned I have read.

Should I consider to pull any of the carge on a trailer? A small trailer that is.

I started to think whether one should consider a trailer as a back-up plan or as a smart way to haul goods? I can haul 650 kg in my, to be, Connect. Bad plan to haul 50% of the goods on the trailer?

Is it valid to drive with the window a bit opened and get some fresh when it's hot outside instead of running your AC? I ask because I do not know. I was thinking that it shouldn't be as turbulent around the open window if I install an wind deflector. Or am I going at it thinking wrong?
AC burns fuel due to higher strain on generator-engine. Open window creates drag and makes the car less aerodynamic. A wind deflector makes the car more aero dynamic, when window is open. Otherwise the wind deflector of course makes the car less aero-dynamic....

Are there any "magic" speed I want to hit where the car works at it best and efficiency meets economy? 80-85km/h? Around 52-53miles/h?

Is there any point in getting flat hubcap so that the drag of the wheel is minimized?

Big thanks!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Sorry, I am not familiar with most of the cars you have mentioned.

What is your 500KG load? This is the maximum allowable payload for most cars, or even a little above.

I would use a trailer if the load won't easily fit inside the car, or if it significantly exceeds the maximum gross vehicle weight.

Windows down can be more efficient than AC if you are going slow enough. I run windows down at speeds of about 60 km or so, and put on the AC above that speed.

The magic speed is the slowest you can travel while holding the top gear. That isn't practical most of the time, so just go as slow as you have patience for.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
trailer

At the Aerodynamics Forum you could check out BamZipPow's 'Boat tail project based on a single wheel trailer.'
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ler-26997.html
The idea is to create the elongation necessary for a significant drag reduction by use of a gap-filled trailer.
*The trailer gives the length
*And it can carry some load as well.
Here is the concept

So far,BamZipPow has shown up to a 2 MPG improvement by pulling the trailer.
His T-100 truck is also probably the world's fastest for a standard powertrain,which reinforces the validity of his drag reduction.
*For more insight,please see the thread 'full-boat-tail gap-filled trailer for T-100' at the Aero Forum.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ta-t-7839.html

Last edited by aerohead; 07-22-2014 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: add data
Reply  Post New Thread