EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   newby whats mpg improvement (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/newby-whats-mpg-improvement-3555.html)

big mcgow 07-05-2008 03:21 PM

newby whats mpg improvement

Hi all

I drive a 2003 automatic Honda Element I have lowered it 3' and removed the rear seat and increased the MPH from 25-26 to 27.45 -28.12 I dont know how it improved so much, but would love to get it into the 30s and hope this site can help. Just so it is clear I'm in a wheelchair I lowered it for easier access and removed the rear seat to get room behind the drivers seat for the chair, and the improved MPG was a nice byproduct. I am hooked on the idea of improving MPG. My daily commute to and from work is 140 miles on freeways and about 20 miles on city streets. I will be lurking for a while to see if I can learn about other mods an am fired up to read the old posts

Dennis

homeworkhome53 07-05-2008 04:46 PM

I don't drive freeways, but the quickest and least amount of work mod you can make is slowing down. My 26 mile one way commute now takes 7 minutes longer but the pay back is substancial. A scangauge would also be a good investment, though the element may already have this feature. I use the scangauge to tell me where the economy is then follow it's direction. In February when I bought this car new my mpg was 32.5. The last 6 tanks have all been over 48 mpg. Listen to the mpg leaders here and follow the threads and your mileage will improve and it will be worthwhile. In fact I will say the greatest improvement mod I've made has been following ecomodder.com daily and the awareness that it instills in my daily drive. Nothing can be fixed or improved if you are not aware that there is a problem. Here I've found that there is a problem, many really, but the biggest one was the attitude of the driver, in my case. Good luck, Big mcgow, enjoy the experience. I've found it fun and satifying, First place I go when I get home from work.
homeworkhome53

SVOboy 07-05-2008 05:35 PM

Slowing down is indeed key on the highway, but with such a long commute, that might be hard to do. Any chance of relocating closer to work? Or work closer to home?

Arminius 07-05-2008 10:17 PM

30 mpg should be really easy. There's a link on the homepage to an article on driving tips. You should read that and then start thinking about 40 mpg next.

big mcgow 07-06-2008 09:44 PM

Thank for the responses I will start a milage log and try to follow the driving tip tomorrow

Dennis

igo 07-06-2008 10:18 PM

Any chance you would be able to work 4 days instead of five (or less days)? Is carpooling or moving closer possible?

The only reason I am asking is because 160mi rt to work is a serious amount of time in a car.

cfg83 07-06-2008 11:59 PM

big mcgow -

Welcome to EM! The Element is an uber-practical car. I don't know how to solve the commute. Do you have the option of driving off-peak? After you spend more time optimizing your driving style, I would consider a scangauge.

CarloSW2

big mcgow 07-08-2008 11:21 PM

The commute is a pain but I am in a possision to make alot more money commuting right now, and the housing market here in california is not right to move. I work on contract for a city and drive from job to job so I need to drive at work all day. I was riding a bike in the past but for know I can't, so I drive. I commute off peak hours so that traffic is not an issue. My first tank of gas averaged 29.2 MPH so this site is helping I just have to stay on track a little better. I zone out and find myself changing up hills about 70, I need to get in the hypermile zen.:o

Thank for the help
Dennis

whitevette 08-15-2008 05:12 PM

Hi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by big mcgow (Post 41269)
Hi all

I will be lurking for a while to see if I can learn about other mods an am fired up to read the old posts

Dennis

Hi, Dennis!
I just found your thread...might I say - if you're looking at a ScanGauge...they are pricy! I've got one...but what they show you is basic :
1) Avoid quick gas pedal movements.
2) Keep your speed down.
3) Avoid over-revving the engine between shifts or in each gear.
4) Skip a gear when accelerating downhill.
5) Place an imaginary raw egg between your right foot and the gas pedal...and don't crush it!
:thumbup:

TestDrive 08-15-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitevette (Post 53654)
Place an imaginary raw egg between your right foot and the gas pedal...and don't crush it!
:thumbup:

Excellent. Never heard it put that way before.