Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModder Blog Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
The Nissan Leaf, and What Electric Drivetrain Means to Us

The electric car has had a rough history in the last 100 years. Hell, the battle we are seeing now was fought out over 100 years ago. The introduction of the motor carriage opened up a new opportunity for an array of drivetrains. There was a time when steam, electricity, gasoline, and even some gas/electric [...]

More...

The Following User Says Thank You to SVOboy For This Useful Post:
richtate (03-09-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...electric car means there's really a MOTOR in it instead of an ENGINE (wink,wink).
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
richtate (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

One thing bad about being in DFW Tx is that the Leaf isn't available here, yet. I'm looking forward to 2012 as there will be other options available besides the Leaf only. I have a Versa and really like it and would diffidently consider the Leaf as I like Nissan's engineering.

Good report and well balanced, thx!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richtate View Post
One thing bad about being in DFW Tx is that the Leaf isn't available here, yet. I'm looking forward to 2012 as there will be other options available besides the Leaf only. I have a Versa and really like it and would diffidently consider the Leaf as I like Nissan's engineering.

Good report and well balanced, thx!
It rides on much of the same platform as the Versa. I have no personal experience with the Versa, but the Leaf rode well, and handled well enough (I got the co-driver nervous enough in the mini-roadcourse).

Thanks!

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 03-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Planet Express Ship - '94 Geo Prizm LSI
90 day: 36.57 mpg (US)
http://ca.jalopnik.com/5780215/nissan-electric-car-stranding-owners
Looks like some people don't know how to handle an electric car? That or there is a faulty battery SOC indicator, if it says 17 miles available but is flat dead in 5 miles.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Will these ever be available anywhere except cali?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert Farnsworth View Post
http://ca.jalopnik.com/5780215/nissan-electric-car-stranding-owners
Looks like some people don't know how to handle an electric car? That or there is a faulty battery SOC indicator, if it says 17 miles available but is flat dead in 5 miles.
I didn't drive it long enough to notice the range indicator. But naturally there is going to be some teething pains as People move into them. I should have said that they only really work well as a city car, not so much suburbs. But I'd be curious to see about why the indicator is so jumpy. You'd think it would be conservative like a modern gas gauge instead of over estimating

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 03-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
The PRC.

I was thinking of posting this elsewhere, but it doesn't deserve its own thread.

Ford is retreating on EVs apparently, just after showing off the Focus EV / Hybrid with, er, compromised boot space due to strange choice in battery placement.

Sizeable buckets of salt are needed as this item comes from TTAC, however key quotes I read :

Quote:
“We still don’t know what the winning technology is going to be…We’re continuing to invest in hydrogen, we’re continuing to invest in biofuels.”

Ford bluntly reminded us that EVs had been tried before and failed:

“Prior to the Model T, a third of all vehicles in this country were electric… this isn’t a new technology. The reason it died away was the ubiquity of charging. Today, we have the same issue.”
Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hydrogen fuel cell, or burning hydrogen like the BMW hydrogen car in Germany?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Planet Express Ship - '94 Geo Prizm LSI
90 day: 36.57 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
Hydrogen fuel cell, or burning hydrogen like the BMW hydrogen car in Germany?
Ford has done research down both paths as far as I am aware, now which they would pursue in the future I cannot predict with any certainty.