Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Multiple Geo owner/3cyl

Another Way To Save Money

I have two 50 mpg+ Geo Metros...they are great. However, my lady and I wanted something large, comfortable, spiffy and fun so we bought a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

How do you save money on such a car? Well, it is more than mileage that comes with savings.

We shopped for a few weeks...eventually we found our car on Craig's List. It was suspicious: $3200 was all they were asking and several phone conversations later I was convinced we should at least take a look. It had 100,000 miles on it, a 4 cylinder engine (very advanced technologically however) and other than a headlight out and an inoperable cigarette lighter, I could find NOTHING wrong with it. No dents-everything worked precisely-quiet-good shifter-good tires...so? We bought it.

I immediately installed a timing belt, idler assembly, tensioner and water pump...very complicated and time consuming...that engine is in there tight tight tight and it had to come out part way and constantly be lowered raised jacked about and swore at. Belts, plugs, wires, service transmission, tower stabilizer bar etc etc etc and we checked brakes, bearings, lights EVERYTHING...I put 2 quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil in it and changed the oil 500miles later then changed the filter twice, changing the oil and filter a third time, I found it to be clean after 5000 miles...not bad for a 100,000 mile engine.

Now it gets 28 mpg at 65 mph...probably 33 mpg if I hyper-miled it I'll bet.

I noticed a new fender had been blended in rather shabbily to my tastes ...I could notice it, being experienced, so I had a body shop re-blend the paint on the fender, adjoining door and hood...a perfect job for $440 They inspected for prior accident/damages...NONE...just that fender.

Eventually I installed 4 new tires for $244 (Wal-Mart sale)

I am sure it will last another 100,000 miles with little problem and as you can see, I have essentially developed a car that is just as economical as my Geo Metros OVERALL...and got into this beauty for about $5000 total.

But my best BRAG is my Geo Metros...I LOVE them...they are wonderful and lots of fun to drive...3 cyl 5 speed 1989 5 door and a 1994 ditto 3 door. I paid $300 for one and $250 for the other...went through both thoroughly for about $1000 each...what a gas and not gassers.

I bet I can get more junk in my Geo than you can...laughter I had one so full that the 24 foot extension ladder and numerous other items stuck out everywhere and I had to use a hand mirror to see out to the right door mirror...laughter Probably 600 extra pounds and I was rowing that transmission through the mountains of Oregon madly...snow and ice everywhere...a few broadside skids and I arrived, averaging 42 mpg...laughter...no kidding...I had it absolutely floored for 442 miles and was in 3rd gear almost half the time...laughter

Cars are fun...my Dodge trucks have been very lonely since I bought those Geos.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Multiple Geo owner/3cyl

You sound like LOADS of fun young man...please don't call...thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Less IS more!

Clementine - '82 Freeway HMV Deluxe
I'm with you Owlafaye!
Smart shopping to satisfy one's urges is quite satisfying.
Saving IS what you do AFTER you acquire (or be owned) by something materialistic.
Or else , when you don't spend, what is money good for? There are no ATM's at the cemetary.
I think.....
Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Multiple Geo owner/3cyl

Wrenching & Driving Pleasure

Frederick: A couple of people didn't understand.

I have two Geo Metors and a Chrysler Convertible...not to mention 3 other cars & trucks and 6 or 7 garden machines. They all run perfectly.

I don't hyper-mile yet get fantastic mileage because I own Geo Metros. I love to ride with the top down and go out to dinner with my lady in the convertible. Because we are usually mechanics here at EcoModder, we should be able to satisfy all our automotive desires very inexpensively.

This is the savings I speak of and when you have Geos you should easily be able to afford a good used car of your dreams and render it new once again. The driving and the wrenching are a great pleasure and save me oodles of money. I can indulge my pleasures at rock-bottom prices.

I wish the same to you all.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Less IS more!

I agree with you one hundred percent!
I had a choice this last week: yes another vehicle, for $3700 mI could get a) a Jaguar XJS with a V12 in great condition OR b) a Freeway HMV with 3177 miles on it.
I was torn. You get so much MORE with the Jag.....but that's what they are worth these days. You very rarely see a Jaguar on the road up where I live, I stress "on the road", I'm a tinkerer, like everybody I admire fine craftsmanship..yet...the allure of doing 100 miles to the gallon in spartan condition appeals to me more. For comfort I have the Geos. I'm going to pick up the Freeway this week end, trailering it with a Dodge Caravan 3.3 that I use for my business.
Last year I almost indulged in a Town and Country vert with wood paneling , it "wood" have been great for my business, so I thought. But as I pay for my cars with "points" I get with my credit card, I just didn't have enough. And it would have been quite stressfull to think about Ricardo Montalban all the time.
Have agreat day.
Frederick,
Wooden You Box It inc.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I ride a motorcycle and average 80 MPG and it's loads of fun.

regards
Badger
Old 07-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Less IS more!

Yep, motorcycles are loads of fun. About 20% of the time.
But I won't go there as I still have my helmet from my Army Triumph 500cc riding days.
Weather, lack of protection, crazy traffic, can't be dressed properly to meet prospects, no storage space.......you know what I mean.
But riding it on a clear sunday morning, on mountaneous roads.....NIRVANA.