EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Non-running Solectria / Geo Force worth getting? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/non-running-solectria-geo-force-worth-getting-11191.html)

Rokeby 11-27-2009 05:35 PM

Non-running Solectria / Geo Force worth getting?

1 Attachment(s)
For the sake of discussion in the EV conversion realm, would this already
converted, just missing the batteries, 1993 GEO FORCE be a reasonable place
to start?

Geo:eBay Motors (item 260514049913 end time Nov-30-09 03:37:25 PST)

What would a reasonable estimate (+/- $1K USD) be to get it running?

What sort of top speed and range would it get?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1261580296

vpoppv 11-27-2009 06:58 PM

Yeah, I saw that one too! I would buy it if I had the money. Looks like all you need is to put in the batteries. There are a few Solectrias out there, so even if it needs work there are folks that could help.....

MetroMPG 11-27-2009 06:59 PM

Hope you don't mind I split your question off into a new thread.

FYI: http://www.evdl.org/docs/force1994.pdf

The Solectria cars aren't run-of-the-mill conversions. They're commercially produced from brand new "gliders" bought from GM. (Which is why this car has less than 5k miles on it.)

If the tech in this earlier model is anything like the later ones that I've driven, it's a very slick EV: AC drive, which is both more efficient and equipped with regen. Sufficient power for highway use ~60 mph should be no problem.

There's a Yahoo group dedicated to the car, so you would have excellent support from the community of owners if you need it.

I'm not sure what the battery pack would cost to replace though. Not up on battery types/prices. Maybe someone else could chime in.

If I had the money and wanted to buy rather than build an EV, I'd look for a Force.

Christ 11-27-2009 07:55 PM

I'd do it. They're rare, first of all. When EV's become the "norm", you might be able to sell it to a collector looking for "firsts" of the type for far more than you paid for it.

If you've got the time and know how, you could make it run on a nice lithium pack, as well... cost is higher, but damn, that's some battery technology.

Rokeby 11-27-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG;142013
Hope you don't mind I split your question off into a new thread.

...If I had the money and wanted to buy rather than build an EV, I'd look for
a Force.

No problem, the split is a good idea.

I'm pretty sure that I couldn't handle the myriad of details that getting this
car on the road would entail... even with outside help. (The pictures of the
battery comparments with the odd wires lying about seem particularly
worrisome to me) :confused:

As you've noted it apears to be a good starting point for someone with the
time, covered space, tools and ability to learn new stuff to get started...
before the Nissan LEAF arrives :rolleyes: and at maybe half the cost.

It's being available -- for some 6 days and some odd hours at any rate --seems like an opportunity to exchange ideas with members at large on what would be needed...

reasonable expectations
cost estimaes
etc.

Johnny Mullet 11-27-2009 10:11 PM

That car is worth restoring!

Ryland 11-28-2009 11:09 AM

At some point most older EVs are going to need a new set of batteries, this one looks like you can get it for a low price because they are missing... the only advantage that old batteries give you is that you can drive it a few blocks, or drive it on to a trailer and you avoid paying a core charge on the new batteries.
From the photos it looks like the wiring is in good shape and complete so $150-200 per 12v battery and you can drop them right in an in a matter of a few hours have it on the road, if you knew what batteries fit correctly you could even bring the batteries with you when you go to pick it up and drive it.

Rokeby 11-28-2009 11:35 AM

The current bid is ~$5,000.

Poking around the Internet, checking the various EV group sites, I find
complete, usually owner built cars in the $15-30K range.

What would be a "good" price on this commercially built car, on the surface
ready to drive, save the batteries?.

Some $4k would also be needed for a battery management system, battery
box heaters -- ~$2.5K of that to add not strictly necessary AC.

NeilBlanchard 11-28-2009 02:47 PM

Holy yogurt! It's about an hours drive from me in Hingham MA; very near where I was commuting to. Hmmm. Hmmm.

[I doubt that I will be bidding on it. But if someone wanted me to go and look at it and take some pictures, I might be able to do that.]

Ryland 11-28-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokeby (Post 142227)
The current bid is ~$5,000.

What would be a "good" price on this commercially built car, on the surface
ready to drive, save the batteries?.

If I wanted to build a car like that I would budget $8,000-10,000 for the whole project and 6 months to a year to put it all together if I worked on it every weekend and a few evenings per week, so that has some value right there along with it being a proven design that is common enough that you can ask questions of others who have the same vehicle, with my electric car I have found that to be of great value.