Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
NuVinci_Continuously_Variable_Planetary_Transmissi on.

NuVinci Continuously Variable Planetary Transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was laughing at a lenco for hot rods, and wanted to know more, for realistic uses.

Quote:
There are three applications of NuVinci technology currently under development for the automotive industry, all relating to front-end accessories. These applications include alternator-mounted, crankshaft-mounted and supercharger-mounted variations and they are meant to improve engine performance and increase fuel economy by enabling front-end accessories run at their optimal speed, regardless of engine speed[22]. Engine downsizing, or engine size optimization, is one of the major strategies being pursued by automakers in order to meet more stringent fuel economy standards[23].
no automotive standards for real listed, but covered a realistic approach to front drive accessories.
I have a downdraft sube that idles sub 500 rpm (inentional- part of hypermile) and my alternator refuses since the 1950s of alternators to operate below 500 rpm at full speed power. Lights dim a bit.

A CVT nuVinci would work...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...everytime I read about these "new" CVT transmissions, I'm reminded of a quote from my Physics professor:

"...90-percent of 110-percent is still less than 100%!"

...and, nothing's gonna yield 100%.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
I have to start over?

Big inefficient truck - '94 Dodge Ram 2500
90 day: 12.1 mpg (US)

Honda Civic - '84 Honda Civic DX Hatchback
Why not use a "centrifugal transmission"?

That popped into my mind one time. It's like a centrifugal clutch, but when it is below the throwout speed, it is sitting on an internal hub, with gearing to make it so that the output is higher.

So, above, say, 3000 RPM, the shoes engage the outer hub and everything is peachy. 1:1 drive ratio.

Below 3000 RPM, the shoes are still pulled in, but they are now sitting on an internal hub, which is geared so that it steps up the speed. You could still get 3000 RPM out with maybe 2000 RPM in.

Reply  Post New Thread