Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

none - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Mods Since Joining

Just checking in for 2021! Since discovering EcoModder, my best modification to date is still currently; Switching from a 2002 Honda CR-V (AWD automatic) to a 2015 Mazda CX-5 (2WD manual).

The weight, engine size, and hp/tq ratings are very similar, but the Mazda uses plastic molding underneath for better aerodynamics and Atkinson cycle (I think?) engine management.

Both vehicles got better mpgs when I slowed down to 61-65mph on my commute.

Of course, working from home because of covid has made a significant impact on mpgs also, but I'm not sure that counts

So I don't have much to contribute, but I usually stop in to see anything new and exciting since my commute is 105 miles round trip, five days a week.

The Following User Says Thank You to B440 For This Useful Post:
MeteorGray (01-24-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2021, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
That's quite the commute. Can I challenge you to start a fuel log?

I've always wondered about modern Mazdas. I like them on paper, but have never actually driven one.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I used to check mpgs at the pump and resetting the tripmeter while watching my scangauge. Mixed driving without being eco-conscious for the CR-V was about 23-26mpg average, the CX-5 returns 30mpg average. I can make just about 40mpg keeping speeds above 50 and below 62mph. My travel has lots of hills that the 18-wheelers cannot keep there speed on.

The CX-5 measures average mpg on the dashboard and is consistent with the calculation at the pump. My wife has a Kia Soul and the dash reading optimistically lies compared to the calculation, and Kia cheats by running extremely lean fuel ratios that shorten the lifetime of spark plugs and the engine altogether.

I also tow a 5x8 open mesh trailer and while driving slower at 55mph, I can return 23-26mpg on long trips even with 500-1,000lbs (usually lawn tractors) on the trailer and the mesh gate up, which acts like a parachute. Knowing that always makes me chuckle when selling something and people try to talk me down on price because of their poor choice in vehicle selection.

But I've seen some members here towing with actual eco cars and getting much better mpg returns.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B440 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-22-2021), LingLongRaceTeam (05-05-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B440 View Post
But I've seen some members here towing with actual eco cars and getting much better mpg returns.
One of those is probably me.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's that trailer gate up in the air that's causing the drastic MPG loss when towing. When I bought a utility trailer years ago, I purposely avoided the gate-in-the-air design for that very reason. Instead, I have to take off the gate each time I use it. Less convenience. Cheaper to pull.

In 2015 I bought a new '15 Mazda3 sedan. It not only has a sports-car feel to its handling, but it is the most economical car I've ever owned. With a 2.0L gasoline engine, 6-speed auto tranny and very heavy use of AC in a hot climate, I've averaged more than 44MPG so far.

More than 90% of those miles were on the highway, and I avoid speeding over the legal limits. Those are the two fuel economy measures I used to get that fuel mileage. The EPA highway rating for that car was 41MPG.

My car has never been to a mechanic.

I'm happy with the Mazda to say the least.

I bet you will be too.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The trailer gate can fold forward into the trailer. I tow it that way when empty and if the load permits. The trailer needs refurbishment after 10 years of service, and I plan to make the gate more aero-friendly.

A Mazda 3 or 6 will likely be my next car. With a 6-speed manual, of course

The Following User Says Thank You to B440 For This Useful Post:
MeteorGray (01-25-2021)
Reply  Post New Thread