Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2023, 03:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ademonrower

Oil from the PVC in the intake system

Right, agree. In my case (gasoline engine with Stromberg carb.), and many others I'd read about online, oil was condensing in large quantities in the air intake and, had I left it much longer, would have started to seep up the air filter. There was also far too much oil in the hose and narrow port into the throttle body. The exhaust smell wasn't terrible, but all the same, it alerted me to the problem, and in the long run, I want to stop clogging and fouling of the intake parts as much as reduce emissions.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-20-2023, 09:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
I would also try a piston soak. Cut my oil consumption down to less than a 1/4 of what it was. Improved every thing
ademonrower (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 12:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ademonrower

Piston soak... how exactly?

Many thanks for the suggestion. Can this be done by pouring anti-clogging compound into the cylinders, waiting for it to work, and then sucking it out? I have some cylinder heat work planned soon, so I could maybe do it then in a more controlled way. Any suggestions would be much appreciated? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Have you been totally honest with yourself with a compression and leak down test ? It sounds like you have excessive blowby with the amount of oil you say is collecting in the intake...not normal. Nice project otherwise.
You could try adding a quart of diesel, ATF, or Marvel's Mystery Oil to the crankcase in attempt to clean up gummy piston rings..some people add 3-4 tablespoons diesel directly into spark plug holes for an overnight soak.... You say nothing about Oil consumption...
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulbstockton6@hotmail.co For This Useful Post:
ademonrower (10-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 02:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ademonrower

Getting to the bottom of oil in intake

Many thanks: very useful suggestions. I feel that the compression is good, and that there is little oil being consumed during the combustion cycle because: 1. the car accelerates as I would expect (OK, only subjectively :-) 2. the oil consumption is small: max. 100 ml per 1000 km. I suspect that around a third of that is going into the intake, a third is leaking from some very minor leaks around gaskets, and perhaps a third is getting burned. Still, I appreciate that compression and leak-down are different things, being very analogous to two sides of the same coin. Perhaps I'll do these tests merely for curiosity and because I should really learn more about this matter :-) Many thanks!

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
diy oil trap, early pcv systems, emissions reduction, oil trap