Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
once again new dams and stuff

here's a little update on some of the mod's i've recently been doing

since one of my PE plastic weeldams got damaged a few months ago, i was lookig for something to replace it with and a big role of linoleum i saw on discount provided me with more than enough material to replace the dams.

haveing so much material available (about 3 sqare meters ) i got thinking about other mods.

the first was an extention of the airdam in front of the wheels... the dams i have now are just in front of the wheels, but these dams are at the leading edge...

the idea is these don't add any frontal area as they're in front of the wheels but they push the air away from the sides wich aren't covered by the undertray. plus they create a low pressure area behind them wich might help suck radiator air from the engine bay, the "original" wheeldams should than guide this air out trough the gaps in the side but mopefully onto my undertray.

it's more of a "lets see what it does experiment"

next i found a bit of old windstriping that still had the adhesive backing on, so i used it to block the seems of my hood... if i can find some more of this stuff cheaply i think i'd do the whole car, although i don't expect any massive improvement from it

thus far it seems like my milage isn't suffering but it's to earty to tell it if actually works, and with the improving weather my fe should start going up anyway.... still i have an almost 12 month baseline so i can match temperature to my FE and see if it's above or below average

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
The mods look great! Did or are you going to do any before/after coast down testing or anything?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

i didn't do any official coast down testing, but there's a stretch of road close to my parents house where the speed limit goes from 70 to 50 km/h so i usually push the clutch and start eoc at the 70 sign and bumpstart when the cars doing 50 and look at take trafic signs and items i know as a reference....

not exact by any means but if notice a can coast "beyond the end of the hedge" i know something should be working...

i haven't filled up again after i installed the last mods, so i can't say much about their efficiency appart from that they "feel" ok, for whatever that's worth. the last two coastdowns i did on that stretch where above average so that's good (i've had mods wich seemed to slow me there so these went out of the window)

the second dams are still under revision so i might alter or ditch them if i get an indication they're not helping or could be better
Old 04-07-2009, 06:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

here's a recent mod/upgrade of the previous dams, basically i made a smooth fairing out of the same material that covered the open space at the sides of my airdam, and at the same time diverts the air smoothly around the wheel dams.
i plan to extend these to the sides because now they only cover the iner part of the tires and the wheelwells...i'm still evaluating but here's some pictures of what they look like

Reply  Post New Thread