Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2022, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
External Mirror Removal (with tuft testing)

I started a blog recently; read the original article here.

Mirrors are an easy drag problem to spot: they stick out from the car body, disrupting flow. This is easy enough to guess, but how and how much do they adversely affect things? To answer that we need to do some testing.

The Problem with Mirrors

The problem with mirrors is twofold: first, in order for them to function they need a large, flat surface on the back side, which contributes to high drag for the mirror itself. Second, regardless of the drag of the protuberance such as a mirror, when it is brought close to the body of a car the total drag is more than the sum of the two. This phenomenon is called “interference drag.”

You can get an idea for why this is by looking at a tuft test of a window surface behind a mirror. Here’s the flow over my truck’s side window with the factory mirror—which is not large by truck standards—in place:

Enjoy the soybean fields. If you follow this blog, you're going to see a lot more of them.

Notice how the tufts are disrupted all the way to the back edge of the window, far behind the mirror. There isn’t much body surface behind that, so I would guess the flow doesn’t clean up at all. Quite an effect from something as small and seemingly insignificant as a mirror!

Smoothing the Flow

Ultimately, we want the flow over a side window to look like this:

That’s my Prius, with its nicely rounded A-pillar, laid back windshield, and no mirror. The tufts are nicely aligned and not flapping much, showing little turbulence. How does the truck look if we do the same? Well, not as good—it’s simply not possible to change that A-pillar and windshield geometry without rebuilding the entire cab structure.

But first, here’s the flow with the mirror folded in:

Not as great as I had hoped! You can still see a large wake behind the mirror and the flow largely moves upward. Now, here it is with the mirror removed entirely:

Ah—finally the tufts have been cleaned up considerably, and the disruption along the bottom of the window has been almost entirely eliminated, with nice, attached flow across it. That’s what we want to see, and after I test for the actual change in drag, I’ll likely make a closeout panel and remove the mirror permanently.

Is Mirror Removal Legal?

This is a modification that gives pause to many who might otherwise consider it. Is it even legal to remove the side mirrors on a car in the United States?

Certainly, removing the passenger mirror is legal; up until a couple decades ago, many new cars were sold without a passenger side mirror at all (they were often an extra-cost option). Now it is impossible to find new cars without two mirrors, even on the cheapest cars for sale today.

Whether it is legal to remove the driver’s side mirror is a bit of a gray area. To sell a new vehicle in the US, manufacturers must ensure that their automobiles comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; included in those standards is a requirement for an external mirror on the driver’s side (companies such as Tesla and Audi are fighting this because they want to fit cameras instead of mirrors for lower drag). Many people think that this means all cars in the US must have a driver’s side mirror—but this is not the case. After the car has been sold to a buyer, its equipment, use, and licensing are regulated by whatever state it is in rather than the federal government—and state regulations on mirrors vary widely. Some states, like my native state of Washington, explicitly require a driver’s side external mirror. Others, like my current state of Illinois, do not. In fact, there is similar language among nearly 30 states in their mirror regulations, e.g. “Every motor vehicle, operated singly or when towing another vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motor vehicle” (ILCS 5/12-502; emphasis added).

Notice that the way this statute is worded, it does not require side mirrors at all—let alone on the outside of the vehicle! As long as the rear window is not blocked, the interior center mirror satisfies the requirements of the law. If you live in or operate your vehicle in one of these states, you’re good to go with no external mirrors (as I’ve been doing for ten years now on two different cars).

However, if you drive through a state that does require a driver’s side mirror, you will technically be in violation of the law without one. The way many states’ statutes are worded, the mirror requirements apply not just to vehicles registered there but any that operate on its roads—even if you’re just passing through. In this case, you might want to come up with a temporary mirror solution, or if it’s too much hassle for you then just leave the driver’s side mirror on. In the last decade I’ve been pulled over once for no mirror, on my way through Kansas several years ago, but did not receive a ticket. Your mileage may vary, but it’s good to plan ahead based on what you’re comfortable with.

Mirror Replacement

You could absolutely install cameras if you want, but I decided to go more basic. When I removed my mirrors, I picked up some brackets from the hardware store and a pair of blind spot mirrors; their convex surface and placement right next to the window means I have as good a view of my blind spots (if not better) as with the factory mirrors:

I'll do something similar with the truck if I remove the external mirrors.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-07-2022), Blacktree (03-07-2022), COcyclist (03-12-2022), ctgottapee (04-07-2022), Ecky (03-09-2022), freebeard (03-06-2022), MetroMPG (03-31-2022), M_a_t_t (03-06-2022), Piwoslaw (03-07-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-06-2022, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
We know what the truck is (because of the garage entry), but you didn't mention it or show a picture of it for those who don't and read the blog.
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD (current project)
1995 Mercury Tracer
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
2022 Corolla Hatchback 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...LulDUQ8HMj5VKA
Old 03-06-2022, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
One minute delta. A next step:

www.gerrelt.nl/wind_noise/a_pillar_deflector/handleiding/Instruction_Manual_Gerrelt_A_Pillar_Deflectors.pdf

Old 03-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
side mirror tidbits

Here are a few values attributed to dual side mirror drag:
GM, PRECEPT/ EV1,1999, Cd 0.015, ( 9.2% and 7.6% respectively )
Ford FUSION, 2006, Cd 0.015( 4.6% )
Audi A2, 1999, Cd 0.0103 ( 4.37% )
SPIRIT-I, 2014,w/ Toyota OEM dual mirrors, Cd 0.0235, ( 9.63% )
SPIRIT-I, 2014, w/ Toyota OEM dual mirrors folded, Cd 0.175, ( 2.45% )
SPIRIT-II, 2017, w/ SCCA racing mirrors, Cd 0.010, ( 2.98% )
MetroMPG (03-31-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Prius Experiment - '07 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 58.52 mpg (US)
Hmm... I just might have to try this with my car. Seems pretty straightforward.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Things are quite different in my country. Even though I have seen some Mercedes-Benz trucks and that Audi e-tron with rearview cameras and no exterior mirrors at all, for most vehicles here having 2 mirrors is mandatory. And even some cars which were available with only a driver-side mirror until '98 are easier to find already fitted with a passenger-side mirror.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
1991 Toyota 4WD pickup

Here's one image
https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/pickup/1991/review/
rumdog (03-17-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Prius Experiment - '07 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 58.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Things are quite different in my country.
The legality of mirror deletes is definitely a concern. Saving money on gas, just to pay it back in traffic tickets, is not very productive.

That said, where I live (Florida) state law requires 2 mirrors. You either need a driver side exterior mirror plus an interior rearview mirror, or you need exterior mirrors on both sides.

So I could legally delete the passenger side mirror. But deleting the driver side mirror could cause trouble. However, I see lots of vehicles driving around with illegal modifications. The police don't seem to care, unless they have nothing better to do.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktree View Post
You either need a driver side exterior mirror plus an interior rearview mirror, or you need exterior mirrors on both sides
Unless some commercial vehicles to which visibility would render an interior mirror pointless, AFAIK it's mandatory for all cars in my country regardless of how many exterior mirrors they're fitted with. And even though reverse cameras became quite common, either as a factory fit or aftermarket accessory, an interior mirror is still mandated.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-11-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,113 Times in 982 Posts
I have a technical question: back when I lived in California, the law actually stated that a vehicle must have a device that allows rear vision for 100 feet on the drivers side of the vehicle. An austin mini traveler wagon from britain, rhd, complied so there was no mirror on the passenger (left) side.

Had to have been a one off exemption.