Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2023, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
If you aren't running the risk of breaking some law, perhaps to could cobble together a cardboard and duct tape facsimile of an add-on chin spoiler, and see if it produces a 'visible' result at the fuel pump.
I'm suprised aerohead low-balls the test article materials. Maybe double-wall corrugated cardboard and '100 mile-an-hour' tape? You don't want to leave parts strewn along the highway with the Ecomodder logo on them.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-13-2023, 11:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbiteses View Post
according to the catalog it is called "Front styling kit",,.
So it doesn't say anything about the actual function of that part. Maybe it's not exactly meant to decrease drag because, you know, aerodynamics also involve stabilizers fitted to high-performance vehicles which are more focused on keeping the 4 wheels on the ground than to streamline it enough to decrease fuel consumption...
Old 06-14-2023, 08:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
If it's what I have seen for the Golf, there's huge emphasis on styling and not much else aero wise unless you've managed to tear off the (what I call) gravel pan. Might work as a install point for an air dam and a way to hide the front edge of a panzer plate style engine shield. Good use as a parking block feeler or gutter detector.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
'SEAT Ibiza aerodynamics'

Quote:
Hmm...I'll see. In Poland, the law prohibits the use of illegal LEDs and Chinese xenons. And in addition, the wheels must not protrude behind the fender.
The Ibiza V has no Cx listed. But the Ibiza IV had 0.33 Cx and the areo version 0.30 Cx, i.e. rear spoiler, rear wheel spoiler, full front grill and special wheel covers.
Since the SEAT automobile has never been offered for sale in the USA, I had to do some research on the Ibiza.
The SEAT website was too difficult to navigate on my phone, and I ended up relying on 'Automobile Catalog' website for 'estimated' drag coefficients.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* The GEN-I Ibiza was designed by SEAT, Italdesign, Karmann, and Porsche, and was estimated at Cd 0.34. Volkswagen acquired SEAT in 1986, two years into the Ibiza production.
* The GEN-II design is credited to Giorgetto Giugiaro @ Italdesign, with an estimated Cd 0.33.( Giugiaro had done the design for VW's Golf, Polo, Jetta, Scirocco, others... ).
* The GEN-III was designed by Walter de Silva, and is estimated at Cd 0.31.
* The GEN-IV was designed by Luc Donckerwolke, and is estimated at Cd 0.32. Two years into production, Auto Express did an article comparing the aerodynamics of the Ibiza, to that of the Citroen C3. Cd 0.33 and Cd 0.30 was mentioned, however, the writing was so ambiguous that, I never could figure out what Cd was attributed to what car.
* The GEN-V was designed by Julio Lozano, who is currently, head of exterior design for both SEAT, and CUPRA, their electric vehicle division. In 2017, the first year, the car was estimated at Cd 0.32.
In 2021, the Ibiza underwent a facelift, with an estimated Cd 0.31.
The 2023 Ibiza is estimated also at Cd 0.31.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The official SEAT website may have specific aerodynamic details for the cars.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
'underbody panels'

Quote:

Aerodynamic shields are marked in green in the picture. And unfortunately, many cars do not have these certain covers. I marked in red which I installed the original and cost little. But I have a plan to mount a heat shield marked in blue.
Yes, by all means, do as much of that as you can!
Dr. Teddy Woll of Mercedes-Benz mentioned, around 2014, that one could thermally insulate the entire exhaust system of a vehicle, and completely enclose the underbody, as is done with mid-engine supercars, and premium electric vehicles.
Mercedes-Benz wasn't doing it because of cost, but technologically it was okay.
If the existing muffler doesn't protrude beyond where the surface of a diffuser might exist, insulating, and paneling everything, and then adding a diffuser would set you up for some meaningful drag reduction. Especially if you intended to 'elongate' the body.
You'd want to monitor temperatures 'inside' the belly pan until you were confident that you hadn't created some new issue.