Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Here in Europe, Kia is the only manufacturer with a 7 year / 93000 miles warranty on their cars. Even Toyota calls it quits at 5 (also 93K mls), others will only give customers the legally required 2 years.

Let's see when they started that warranty policy : 1/1/2010
Would they introduce such a policy if they weren't convinced of their built quality ? Sure it'll draw customers, but if they're not delivering quality, their profit margins would evaporate on warranty repairs.
I was attracted to the Picanto because of the 7 year warranty, and the i10 because of the 5 year one. But there are exclusions although this may be down to the dealer and how they view an alleged "fault" with a car they get in. e.g. one example I read about the dealer refused a HGF on a 1.5 year old car, another one repaired a 3 year old one FOC.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...in USA, a "factory" warranty is just that, issued and backed by the factory and not by the dealership.

...is it different in europe? Do the dealerships provide the warranty, or do they merely implement it under factory direction?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...in USA, a "factory" warranty is just that, issued and backed by the factory and not by the dealership.

...is it different in europe? Do the dealerships provide the warranty, or do they merely implement it under factory direction?
Its the same, but it is who interprets what is and is not covered. Most people take their car back to the stealer, oops, dealer in the first instance to get a problem fixed. The dealer may then decide whether the work is done under warranty or not - the issue is that sometimes warranty work will be carried out at a rate and time fixed by the importer / maker vs. the retail rate that the dealer would normally charge. So there is an incentive sometimes for the dealer to respond as not covered.

A good dealer will stick to the rules because that's how they get repeat business - happy customers. A reasonable dealer will refer any dispute to the maker / importer where the owner disagrees with the decision. A typical / chain dealer may still refuse in which case the owner is faced with having to try another one or even go the maker / importer themselves.

It gets complicated for example when a car is serviced slightly late or over mileage - even missing a service by 1000 miles can be cause to invalidate a warranty. The good news is that if you use a place with a VAT number (tax code) and which guarantees they use the standards of the manufacturers then you can use anyone for servicing.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
The PRC.

PS - its also worth checking the exclusions on the warranty, what exactly is a "service item" which is not covered for example ? Is it a wheel bearing ? Brake Disk ? Suspension bushings that go in 20 K miles ?

I'm sure as a renter the OP must have experience of this already
Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagon - '06 Ford Focus zxw
90 day: 29.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toc View Post
How did you determine it was cheaply made (aside from price?) ?
What was it that ruined it for you?
-seats
-steering wheel made from I don't know what plastic
-clutch feel
-engine sound
-a lot of others factors I can't remember

girlfriend found it too cheaply made also. If I remember correctly they were selling them for 10-12k$can with 7 years bumper to bumper warranty...
Old 08-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Our fleet is generally not new enough to have vehicles with factory warranty left on them, so any repairs will be out of our pocket. We have a 2007 Hyundai Accent in the fleet and the interior is really cheap (paper thin carpet, cheap plastic), so if the Kia is the budget version of that I can't see it holding up at all to our needs.

As far as auction price goes, a 2007 Focus with 22,000 kms and a 5 speed sold for $5700 a few weeks ago, where as a 2007 Kia Rio5 with 33,000 kms and a 5 speed sold for $3500. I would much rather the Focus, but with that price difference you can see why I was considering a Kia!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
The PRC.

Hyundai own Kia after Kia went bust. I don't think they use it as the budget brand of the two - they seem to be equivalent.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagon - '06 Ford Focus zxw
90 day: 29.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Wagon View Post
As far as auction price goes, a 2007 Focus with 22,000 kms and a 5 speed sold for $5700 a few weeks ago, where as a 2007 Kia Rio5 with 33,000 kms and a 5 speed sold for $3500. I would much rather the Focus, but with that price difference you can see why I was considering a Kia!
I would much rather own the kia with that kind of difference in price.

Reply  Post New Thread