EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Overheating problem. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/overheating-problem-29955.html)

Baltothewolf 09-10-2014 06:27 PM

Overheating problem.

I'm going to make a dedicated overheating thread as I need help. I don't know what to do at this point.

Things I have tried:

Coolant flush.
Thermostat replacement.
Block test (came up fine).

I'm out of ideas. The coolant flush made my situation worse. I use to be able to put around town all day with no problems at all, and now just going to my friends house, which I have done a dozen times in the insight, it overheated.

Insight for life 09-10-2014 07:06 PM

Who did the block test? Sometime they wont show up and then all of the sudden it shows up bad. I had a cobra like that.

Baltothewolf 09-10-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insight for life (Post 444858)
Who did the block test? Sometime they wont show up and then all of the sudden it shows up bad. I had a cobra like that.

I did, I did it 3 times to make sure.

user removed 09-10-2014 07:19 PM

Did you bleed the cooling system after the flush-thermostat? I posted in the other thread I thought it was the radiator. A radiator shop can test it for hot spots in the radiator.

regards
mech

Baltothewolf 09-10-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 444861)
Did you bleed the cooling system after the flush-thermostat? I posted in the other thread I thought it was the radiator. A radiator shop can test it for hot spots in the radiator.

regards
mech

I replaced the thermostat at the same time I did the flush. And Yea Ill have to find one out here. It's fine until I have to climb a hill, then it starts to heat up extremely fast.

mcrews 09-10-2014 08:13 PM

My radiator was full of dirt and road dust, kept overheating on hill climbs. Try getting a car wash spray up close. Oh yeah I had tried everything also... I felt SO stupid!

j12piprius 09-10-2014 08:44 PM

new radiator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 444863)
I replaced the thermostat at the same time I did the flush. And Yea Ill have to find one out here. It's fine until I have to climb a hill, then it starts to heat up extremely fast.

How old is the radiator? I replaced mine with a larger one one from Ebay a couple of weeks ago. This was easy to do and the change has made a major difference. The 15 year old original had become a thin smashed up shell that wasn't doing anything. Also check the size of your grill blocks, as the venting is especially important when going up hills.

Baltothewolf 09-10-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlvs2run (Post 444869)
How old is the radiator? I replaced mine with a larger one one from Ebay a couple of weeks ago. This was easy to do and the change has made a major difference. The 15 year old original had become a thin smashed up shell that wasn't doing anything. Also check the size of your grill blocks, as the venting is especially important when going up hills.

I don't have a grill block. Anyway, can you give me a link to the bigger radiator? When I get home I'll burp the system again, and take pics of my radiator so you guys can see what kind of shape it's in.

dirtydave 09-10-2014 09:02 PM

Does the heater work? If it doesn't its the water pump. Is the fan coming on? If the top hose from the radiator is hot you can know the thermostat is good.

j12piprius 09-10-2014 09:05 PM

This is the one I got, on a bid for 55.99, however you will need a different one for the insight.

I should take a photo of the old one before tossing it in the trash.