EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   P+G doesn't work on my VW (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/p-g-doesnt-work-my-vw-9006.html)

robchalmers 07-01-2009 04:56 AM

P+G doesn't work on my VW

On my last thre commutes I've Been trying out Pulse n' Glide and it doesn't seem to want to work with my Polo - doing it between 65-55mph (go below 55 and you'll p*ss off the British truck drivers!) the car labours on restart as if its running VERY rich, it doesn't matter if I do a key restart or bump ignite. I have given it the benefit of the doubt even though my fuel guage has been dropping scarily fast.... might just stick to Constant/DWL/Drafting

SVOboy 07-01-2009 05:29 AM

Quick answer: You are driving to fast for P&G to work. It probably would do just fine from 20-30 mph, :)

robchalmers 07-01-2009 05:47 AM

Ah.... simple answer! thanks - sadly though truck drivers get pee'd if you drive incosistently around about their limiter speed (56mph) - so i don't want to risk going any slower really.

Fringe benefit though - Aero mods 'should' have more of any effect at the higher speeds I commute at!

SVOboy 07-01-2009 05:49 AM

Yep, I would aeromod and stick with dwl on the highway, it is what I do, at least.

vtec-e 07-01-2009 12:13 PM

Hi rob.
Have you tried p&g with the engine on? You could have fuelling issues when it starts maybe? Could it also be the case that you were too heavy on the throttle during the pulse? I'm just throwing ideas out there so feel free to put me straight! I'm guessing you don't have a scangauge so you have no readout of the engine LOD to pulse properly. Although seat of the pants works well for me.....

Best of luck.

ollie

robchalmers 07-01-2009 12:27 PM

nope no scan guage, I plateau'd back the throttle before cutting the spark, my friend say it might be the simple electronics the dub has in that it knows its moving from the speedo but isn't sensing combusted gas at the lambda so chucks more and more fuel in - then when you restart it runs rich til it settles out again.

The Atomic Ass 07-01-2009 09:28 PM

If you're just cutting spark you won't see much/any savings. You guess correctly, when the engine loses power the computer tries to compensate, and ends up dumping more fuel into the engine.

roflwaffle 07-01-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robchalmers (Post 113121)
Ah.... simple answer! thanks - sadly though truck drivers get pee'd if you drive incosistently around about their limiter speed (56mph) - so i don't want to risk going any slower really.

Trucks over there have a 56mph limiter! Jeez... I get passed by 'em if I'm only doing 70mph in the slow lane over here.

robchalmers 07-02-2009 12:57 AM

Yep and they're on allowed to use two of the three lanes too!

Piwoslaw 07-02-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roflwaffle (Post 113324)
Trucks over there have a 56mph limiter! Jeez... I get passed by 'em if I'm only doing 70mph in the slow lane over here.

I believe that truck speed is limited to 80 km/h in the whole EU. But... even though Polish laws prohibits trucks from going over 80 km/h, and states that they must have a speed governor, I often can't catch up to trucks when I'm going 100 km/h.