Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
The Great Charging Debate!

Our world is being kind of overwhelmed with plug-ins. Many people are not ready or accepting of this. I got into a lot of trouble at my apartment complex when I went from a 4 hour daytime charger on a trike to an overnight trickle charger for my City-EL.

I suppose this could at be the same problem at many extended-living motels, condominiums, or public buildings. I have to sneak in - plug in -put old tires or boxes over the cord to hide it. Ridiculous!

Now we have plug-in Prius, new Chevy Volt, 4 new Chryslers, Ford Think re-designed, Triac, Tesla, and many many more EVs here now or coming.

Living in an environment that frowns on solar panels or wind generators is one thing I put up with; I have lived here 15 years- and now I am criminalized for plugging in. I don't get it. I am seriously considering moving somewhere EV friendly!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That's a surprise - Santa Cruz not being EV/alternative energy friendly. Maybe its changed since I was last there, but people used to be all over that sort of thing there. Of course there were certain practical difficulties with solar power that people who've never lived in a coastal fog belt might not appreciate :-)
Old 09-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
That's a surprise - Santa Cruz not being EV/alternative energy friendly.
The anti-EV charging is mainly in this complex in Santa Cruz. People in Santa Cruz are usually very positive except for a few hidden stick-in-the-mud areas. Sadly; I found one
Old 09-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
It's somewhat of an education issue. They might think you are using a lot of electricity when you are actually using very little. If you could quantify it for them they might back off. I can see their point if you are using more than $10/month of electricity.

As plug-ins become more prevelant it may become an issue, with "pluggers" being charged slightly more than "gassers" in rent or condo fees. I forsee new construction with assigned spaces with locked receptacles connected to your apartment electric meter as being a strong sales point.

A couple of years ago we went snowmobiling in Quebec and the motel we stayed at charged $1 more per night if you used an engine block heater.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Misanthropologist

BORK! - '89 Volvo 240 DL Wagon
90 day: 21.27 mpg (US)
Get an outlet meter and SHOW them how little it's drawing from the outlet. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have any problem with you leaving a refrigerator plugged in, so why not a battery charger?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainslug View Post
Get an outlet meter and SHOW them how little it's drawing from the outlet. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have any problem with you leaving a refrigerator plugged in, so why not a battery charger?
Good idea, the meters cost peanuts Jaycar carry them and if they still carry on you could offer to pay the usage at the end of the month as the meters will total it and if you input cost per KW will even give a dollar value.

Reply  Post New Thread