Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #221 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisheimer View Post
It looks like that is just the display. They don't show a shunt,
a hall effect sensor, or anything to carry 300 amps DC!

There are plenty of cheap 100-1000 amp DC shunts on e-bay that have
50 or 100mv outputs though, but they weigh more than an ounce!

I also didn't see the link for your shunt/meter.
Can you post it?

Thanks
Mark
Yeah, that one is if you already have a shunt. Here's the one I got:

Round 300A Analog AMP Panel Meter Gauge + Shunt - eBay (item 230395631429 end time Nov-11-09 06:43:38 PST)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #222 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hi, vpoppv. Wanted to ask where you bought your amp meter, and does it measure battery amps? My Kelly controller (second one) died today, so after sitting on the fence(OUCH) I have decided to diy my own using paul's instructions, and the parts list. Seems that is the only way to get one that will work for more than 2 months. I am not an electronics whiz, but the instructions are clear. maybe we can compare notes if you build one. Watt.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #223 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt-a-mezz View Post
Hi, vpoppv. Wanted to ask where you bought your amp meter, and does it measure battery amps? My Kelly controller (second one) died today, so after sitting on the fence(OUCH) I have decided to diy my own using paul's instructions, and the parts list. Seems that is the only way to get one that will work for more than 2 months. I am not an electronics whiz, but the instructions are clear. maybe we can compare notes if you build one. Watt.
Hi Watt! Click on the link above, it's from eBay. Ah, what the heck, here it is again:

Round 300A Analog AMP Panel Meter Gauge + Shunt - eBay (item 250517706986 end time Oct-28-09 06:31:39 PDT)

I get most of my stuff there because I sell stuff from the ICE. I think it measures battery amps or motor amps depending on where you put it, but I haven't researched it yet. I have no idea! I think I want it right after the contactor but before the controller, and I think that's battery amps(Where's the "shrug" smilie???). Sorry to hear about your Kelly. I'd love to compare notes, but I have read the instructions about 4 times and it scares the pants off me!! I anticipate many burns. I used a hammer crimper today and guess what? Yup, hammered my hand REAL good. I think I would make a good slapstick comedian.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #224 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hi,vpoppv. Thanks for the link, I Have a westburg(?) I got from EV America. Wish I knew about these before, the one I got was 59.00 I have the shunt between the motor lug S1(?) and m- on the controller for motor amps. Dont know where you would have it for battery amps. Diy controllers arent my first choice either, but if I build it, I cant blame anyone but me if it doesnt work, and maybe I can fix it. Watt.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #225 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt-a-mezz View Post
Hi,vpoppv. Thanks for the link, I Have a westburg(?) I got from EV America. Wish I knew about these before, the one I got was 59.00 I have the shunt between the motor lug S1(?) and m- on the controller for motor amps. Dont know where you would have it for battery amps. Diy controllers arent my first choice either, but if I build it, I cant blame anyone but me if it doesnt work, and maybe I can fix it. Watt.
$59 isn't bad, and I bet you got it quicker. Plus, those look a lot cooler! Mine only goes up to 300 amps, looks like Westach is 400 or 500 amp.
As far as the controller, I welcome the challenge! I didn't want to build one for my first EV because I doubted my abilities- heck, I STILL can't believe it works! But for my second one, I wouldn't want any other controller!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #226 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Hey! I just realized I never did anything about my brakes! I was so worried that without the brake booster they would suck. I suppose if I ever went over 30 mph it might be an issue, but so far I haven't noticed needing any extra braking power than what I have....
Old 11-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #227 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
Hey! I just realized I never did anything about my brakes! I was so worried that without the brake booster they would suck. I suppose if I ever went over 30 mph it might be an issue, but so far I haven't noticed needing any extra braking power than what I have....
You should check and make sure your brakes are fine. My brakes were pretty easy to use, even without assist, but it turned out they were dragging and down to the metal and no longer safe. They actually started to slow me EV down while driving. After replacing them I found I can't even stop the EV without the vacuum assist.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #228 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSGC View Post
You should check and make sure your brakes are fine. My brakes were pretty easy to use, even without assist, but it turned out they were dragging and down to the metal and no longer safe. They actually started to slow me EV down while driving. After replacing them I found I can't even stop the EV without the vacuum assist.
I really should check them, but they can't be that bad because they had plenty of pad left on them when I was commuting with it no more than 2,000 miles ago. I never checked the rear drums though.....Hey, did you get your transmission?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #229 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
I really should check them, but they can't be that bad because they had plenty of pad left on them when I was commuting with it no more than 2,000 miles ago. I never checked the rear drums though.....Hey, did you get your transmission?
My transmission is supposed to be ready first thing tomorrow. I was supposed to have it Friday, but it had an *incident* with the forklift and went out for cosmetic repairs. I can't wait to get EVing again and I have most of this week off from classes to work on the EV!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #230 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Brakes and trannys

I had similar questions about my nissan, because it had power assist brakes. I changed the front disk pads and was not able to do much with the rear drums as they are rather old(1988). I found a rubber fitting to go over the tube on the master cylinder. It has a pinhole in it, but it holds good pressure on the pedal. If I pump the pedal I have good stopping power. 40mph is as fast as I have driven it. I had problems with my trans binding (5 speed, no clutch.) My drive train was not aligned, and it was ruining the rear seal before I loosened the motor and straightened it out. SGC, hope your trans gets fixed soon. My ev is on blocks in my driveway, wish it was running,oh well. Watt

Reply  Post New Thread