Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Actually, because the multiplication has to be done before the addition I'd write it this way:

(($4.39 * 1 gallon) + ($3.99 *10.25 gallons)) / total gallons

therefore

(4.39 + 40.89) / 11.25 = $4.025

The Excel equation would be

=((4.39*1)+(3.99*10.25))/(1+10.25)

Note the double parentheses in the numerator.

Last edited by instarx; 05-08-2009 at 06:00 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
In my fuel log I input the number on the main odometer, then I get the kilometers driven by subtracting. I think this should be done in the EM garage: you input how much fuel you bought (and for how much), your odo, and the date. The way it is now I always wonder whether I should input how much I tanked up, or estimate how much I used since last fill up? This wouldn't be a problem if I always filled up when almost empty, but sometimes I fill up only half the tank, sometimes I use an automatic gas station with prepaid cash (so I can't know exactly how much I have to pay to get up to full).

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmitszach View Post
Let's see it!
City mpg of other vehicle to compare to = cmpg
Highway mpg of other vehicle to compare to = hmpg
Distance driven = D
% of tank driven in the city = %C
Cost per gallon = $G
Cost of fillup = $C

((D/cmpg*%C)+(D/hmpg*(1-%C)))*$G-$C = $ saved (or lost) vs driving an other vehicle with properties cmpg and hmpg.

instarx, priority rules for arithmetic say * takes precedence on + so the double parenthesis aren't really needed. But for those who could be confused it removes all doubt, I agree.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
In my fuel log I input the number on the main odometer, then I get the kilometers driven by subtracting. I think this should be done in the EM garage: you input how much fuel you bought (and for how much), your odo, and the date. The way it is now I always wonder whether I should input how much I tanked up, or estimate how much I used since last fill up? This wouldn't be a problem if I always filled up when almost empty, but sometimes I fill up only half the tank, sometimes I use an automatic gas station with prepaid cash (so I can't know exactly how much I have to pay to get up to full).
Piwoslaw, being in Poland you might be interested in this site: Spritmonitor which does all that and also allows you to indicate partial fill-ups. Click on the mpg icon below in my sig to see my data.

If you look at my log you will see that I had a partial fill-up on august 8 last year when I was mixing E85 ethanol and gasoline to get E10. The program took it in stride so it will deal with partial fill-ups at prepaid stations with no problem. Just enter mileage, gallons and cost and everything is figured. You can also compare your mileage to others with the same car. It is the easiest and most useful mileage/expense tracker I have ever used.

There is a small glitch in that the data you see as a visitor to my data is presented in liters, and the $ amounts are labeled EUR. But when logged in everything is right.

Last edited by instarx; 05-08-2009 at 08:59 AM..
Old 05-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG is also a pretty good site, in that it keeps averages for price paid per gallon/liter as well as tracking your annual expenditure in fuel costs. It too has a check box to indicate partial fill ups and allows you to search out similar vehicles for comparison. It registers cost per mile too.

I find it pretty informative.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 05-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Modding for Eris

SilverCivic - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 28.69 mpg (US)
Here's mine. Everything is in km and L, except the mpg column of course.

The second sheet is full of little calculators and things, and the third sheet is the repository for previous years' totals/averages.

Attached Files
File Type: xls Fuel Use Spreadsheet.xls (158.5 KB, 27 views)

Reply  Post New Thread