EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Pet Peeve: Bad Parking (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pet-peeve-bad-parking-28209.html)

jeff88 02-15-2014 03:14 AM

Pet Peeve: Bad Parking

One of my biggest pet peeves is when somebody can't park properly, especially when there is no reason preventing them from doing so.

Got to the store the other day and found this across the row of cars.
http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/...ps340c3033.jpg
I mean really?

Does anybody else have this pet peeve?

Xist 02-15-2014 03:34 AM

Sometimes it is an excessively expensive car and it seems that the parking job matches the ego. I like it when they park at or close to the line on the driver's side, but there happens to be a spot open on that side. I just park correctly and if they cannot open their driver's door, hey, I am perfectly centered! :)

redneck 02-15-2014 04:10 AM

Bad Parking

Leave them one of these next time...

The "I hope you don't **** like you park" parking ticket

>

chefdave 02-15-2014 04:54 AM

Hi
join yoi on bad parking. how does a smart car take up four parking spaces. my motorhome is 21ft long and have to use two spaces in UK parking spots. also i cannot use multi story carparks so when i go on trips need to check parking avaliabily for my destnations. some places in south of england if a motorhome takes up two spaces then you have to buy two tickets one for each space. idiot in smart car only needs one ticket. go figure.

Gealii 02-15-2014 06:28 AM

i find this a lot at school its typically nice cars or girls that took 10 min to park that way in the first place :p i gotta admit I've watched a few girls do this its funny until you realize they blocked the spot you wanted :mad:

chefdave 02-15-2014 07:49 AM

Hi
in photo at top of forum if they parked like that in london some would use their car to shunt other car over the line so they could park in space next to it. explains all minor dings on london cars. to me bsd parking is a sign of rudeness and igeronce to fellow car drivers.

cowmeat 02-15-2014 07:58 AM

When I'm in the Festiva and somebody parks like that, I carefully pull my car in next to theirs about two inches away from their driver side door. I leave a note on their windshield "enjoy getting in on the passenger side, jackass"
Then I take a pic of their license plate before I go into the store in case they decide to pay me back.
Natural born assholes CAN be re-trained, but it takes collective effort, so who's with me?

Frank Lee 02-15-2014 08:13 AM

You can't even imagine the mess the lots become in winter when snow obscures the lines. People... REALLY?!?

user removed 02-15-2014 08:29 AM

Hehe, when I lived near Tyson's Corner west of DC, the apartment complex was very old and they had one designated parking place per apartment. Come home after midnight and you got to walk .5 mile to your apartment.

A group of 4 men parked their Oldsmobile taking up two full spaces at a 45 degree angle. I was sitting in my living room when I saw them park and walk around the building across the street.

My buddy and myself got up, walked over to their car and lifted-dragged the rear end around so it was parked perfectly in one spot with the other one clear.

The we sat back and watched the 4 guys when they came out and saw the car had been moved. The poor idiots walked around that car at least 4 times. I guess they were looking for damage. After a few minutes of delightful bewilderment they got in their car and left.

regards
Mech

HydroJim 02-15-2014 08:31 AM

When there is snow covering the lines at my school, there will be cars all over the damn place. Cars will park 3 or 4 cars deep and onetime my row even got locked in on both ends so I was stuck driving in the middle trying to find a way out. Luckily the Geo is so small I could squeeze out.

doviatt 02-15-2014 09:52 AM

Parking is a premium at my work. Office complex with many buildings and too few parking spaces. I usually park on the shoulder of a near by road and walk.
Funny thing though is one day this huge, jacked up, huge tired 4X4 parked right up front and took 4 places obviously on purpose (one large tire in each spot). I pointed it out, word spread. Within an hour the property manager sent an email to all of the buildings. A few minutes later an embarrassed girl sauntered over to the truck and moved it to the road. I can only assume it was her boyfriends truck and he told her to protect it at all costs. She should have known better than to park up front.

chefdave 02-15-2014 10:47 AM

Hi
agree snow makes parking orderly between lines almost impossiable. When lines are clear what is the excuse. parking in cities will always be at a premium. My drive at home is big enough for a minimun of three. coaches. now we always park neat on our drive but visitors just dump car any old how. Even blocking in our two vehicles. have asked them to move them so i can go to work. maybe parking neatly should be part of driving test so no more excuses.

Cobb 02-15-2014 11:20 AM

Its kind of hard to judge a parking as you dont know what they had to deal with before hand.

In many cases people where I live do not park within the lines to begin with. I cant fault them as it maybe a vehicle beside them parked off causing them t park off.

Others park in the cross marked area beside handicapp parking places or at the end of a lot before the cement island.

When I use to work we typically crammed 3 cars into 2 spots. We parked so the passenger side of the vehicles faced each other and an inch apart. I sometimes would park half n an island or end cap next to someone I knews passenger to passenger side. Parking security didnt care as long as you didnt park completely on top of the island or end cap, cross hatch area.

When I drove a scion xa and geo metro I loved to park all the way in my spot so to the casual person cruzing for a parking spot would think the spot is empty til they approached it and saw a little car at the end of it. :thumbup:

Just the other day I parked sideways acrossed 2 spots at subway. I had my 4x4 and had to shift into 4wd to get into the business. My 4x4 wont steer that well unless you shift out, then back up 12 feet to disengage 4wd. I didnt have time for all that, so I turned as tight as I could and assume when I left and backed out it would disengage and I can make a proper turn to exit the business.

Xist 02-15-2014 04:56 PM

I have a picture buried on my phone of a Nissan Versa parked diagonally across two spots at school, and of the parking ticket on the windshield.

D.O.G. 02-15-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 411271)
Its kind of hard to judge a parking as you dont know what they had to deal with before hand.

In many cases people where I live do not park within the lines to begin with. I cant fault them as it maybe a vehicle beside them parked off causing them t park off.

Agreed,
I've parked "normally" a few times in shopping center car parks, only to find I'm way over the line, or at a funny angle, after I get out of the car, because the cars on both sides are parked the same way.

Spaces are hard to find, so I don't have any option but to leave it that way, but I do feel embarrassed when I return to find the other cars have left, leaving me the only idiot parked that way.:o

jeff88 02-15-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

I've thought about that before and I try to assume that as best I can, but that means somebody still parked terribly. And in this case, there really is no excuse. Even if there was a cart there, move it! :rolleyes:

Quote:

When I drove a scion xa and geo metro I loved to park all the way in my spot so to the casual person cruzing for a parking spot would think the spot is empty til they approached it and saw a little car at the end of it. :thumbup:

I hate you and all of your kind! :D :p

jeff88 02-15-2014 09:39 PM

Got another one... with a story.

This is from a few years ago. Was going to dinner with friends and needed to park. The lot was full. This bozo couldn't park right, so one of the only open spots left that was next to him wasn't actually available. A few spots away there was another open spot, but a stack of shopping carts was in the spot. These were the only two available anywhere in sight. So I asked my friend to move the carts so I could park. He did so and I parked. When I got out I saw that he had done this:http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/...ps646d65a3.jpg

:D:D:D I have no idea if an employee came and got the carts or if the *** had to move them to move out of the spot, but we felt like we got retribution!

Arragonis 02-16-2014 11:20 AM

This guy has photos of everyday misery in Edinburgh

https://www.facebook.com/EDIWorstDrivers/photos_stream

No it isn't me, and TBH his photos are mild...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...46092646_n.jpg

Cobb 02-16-2014 01:39 PM

When I had my tacoma I use to crush shopping carts that were left in a spot and a cement parking barrier, pole, etc. Other times Id push the parking cart stable over to make a spot. :eek:

I was rollin on 33s and at times I drove over sidwalks and curbings as well. Likely a good thing I got rid of that truck before I pissed the wrong person off or got a ticket. :thumbup:

Here lately all I got to do is shift my car in reverse and I get a parada of cars behind me. The local walmart parking lot is like the photo above with poles in front center of spots. I therefore just drive forward around the poles and exit into the next row of parking. :eek: I can just see people banging there steering wheels as they thought they had inconvenienced me.

Frank Lee 02-16-2014 03:44 PM

Heh Heh... I once utilized the VW Microbus' awesome ground clearance and rough terrain capability to drive over the barrier and up the landscaping separating parking ramp from alley; the moviegoers walking through the alley at the time were impressed! :thumbup: Another time I used the F150 to shove a concrete barrier out of the way that had been separating a divided lot- the packed solid half was free parking and the half with vacancies was "paid". The attendant in the booth must have been looking the other way... but the people walking through the lot gave me the thumbs-up! No, I don't feel bad about either transgression. :p

JRMichler 02-16-2014 05:09 PM

Once upon a time, my father parked in the last legal spot next to a fire hydrant. Then some idiot parked him in by parking in front of a fire hydrant. Dad was driving a Suburban (5 kids, he needed it). He eased forward, shifted into reverse, and floored it. Put the idiot in the middle of the intersection with a leaking radiator. Not even a scratch on the Suburban.

Cobb 02-16-2014 06:15 PM

I use to parallel park near an equipment dealer for 5 years and I did every ticketable offense from watching parking wars.

I would park farther than 2 ft from the curb.
Park with one side up on curb.
Park on corner of block.
Park at very edge or beginning of block.
Parked facing on coming traffic.

Lastly I parked in the driveway to one of the many bays our shop had a POS truck that will be out of service for months and blocked the sidewalk.

Still, how does a "No Standing Zone" mean no parking?!?!?!?!

Xist 02-16-2014 08:22 PM

I used to have a problem with people parking behind me. Had I driven a big truck, I could have driven over the curb--or backed over the car.

I always wondered, I keep a floor jack in my trunk, I like using it way more than the spare tire jack, plus the handle makes a much better club.

If I put the jack under the right spot, could I lift up the back end of their car and push it out of my way? :)

Cobb 02-16-2014 09:01 PM

To parallel park in tight spots I use to back in, set parking brake, cock my wheels to the curb, pop the clutch in first gear and scoot the front end over to the curb. :thumbup:

sheepdog 44 02-16-2014 09:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqhUeDTAyYs

order99 02-17-2014 01:19 AM

Like Cowmeat, I also have a Ford Festiva. I have also noticed that any neighboring spots almost always get filled by cars who think that those painted lines are for OTHER people, and park at any angle they like.,,,having the Festiva, this is not usually a major issue and I let it slide.

Eight months ago however, I return to my faithful pony and find two SUVs, each parked so far over the line that I had less than 5" clearance on both driver and passenger sides. I was...not happy.:mad:

I was even less happy when I had to open my hatch,lower the back seat and slither into the driver's side (while not a giant, I am neither petite nor abnormally thin enough for this to be EASY). I then started up the car and gently pulled out-and while I considered trading paint with the inconsiderate cretins, I had just applied a fresh coat of Valspar International Harvester Red and wanted it to last a few years, so I resisted tempation...

Instead, I took a length of towing chain out of my 'might need this' box, wrapped it securely around the back axles of both SUVs and double-locked each end. And then I left.

In retrospect I may have overreacted just a touch. That chain had come from Granddad's tractor and had pulled stumps that would have laughed at dynamite, and I really can't find its like anymore...:(

cowmeat 02-17-2014 07:46 AM

Lol, if it wasn't for the weight factor, I'd add a tow-chain to my trunk too . . .

Inconsiderate, dumb-ass hillbillies are everywhere (especially in NC and FL), so just remember that although we are way outnumbered here, if we refuse to fight the war is already lost

Nice work!

t vago 02-17-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by order99 (Post 411479)
In retrospect I may have overreacted just a touch. That chain had come from Granddad's tractor and had pulled stumps that would have laughed at dynamite, and I really can't find its like anymore...:(

Yah, I'd probably say so.

Harbor Freight sells valve core removal tools, for removing the cores out of wheel valve stems, that would have gotten the point across just as well. Of course, a cheapie pair of vise grips would probably have worked, too. :rolleyes:

http://www.suzukisv1000.info/images/..._core_tool.jpg

War_Wagon 02-17-2014 11:57 AM

When we first opened our shop, it took a few months before we could get "Reserved Parking" painted on the 8 spots in front that were part of our lease. So we just kindly asked people to move when we saw them parking there, as we really needed the space. Once the paint went down it was open season. There was some clod that would back in his brand new S500 and usually take up almost 2 spots on Saturday evenings as he went in to butcher the lastest Asian Top 40 songs at the karaoke bar next door. I was particularly grumpy that night before going home, and it said in giant letters "Reserved for Azure", so I got the keys for our rental Expedition, and our rental Tahoe, put them both in 4wd, nosed one in on each side of the Mercedes so there was about 2 inches to spare between the sides, pulled up to the curb and cranked the front wheels full lock to one side. So there was no way a tow truck could hook up our stuff and drag it out of the way without putting the front wheels on dollies or else they would have dragged the locked up front wheels into the sides of the Mercedes due to the angle they were on, and they couldn't put dollies on the front because they were too close to the curb! Then I went home for Saturday night. We were closed Sunday.

Monday, the Merc was gone! To this day I think the only way the guy got that thing out of there was Mercedes like that have a function that lets you open your sunroof and windows with the remote before you start the car. I am pretty wiry and there's no way I could have gotten in through the windows, so I guess he must have opened the roof from outside, then climbed over his new $100k car, gone in through the sunroof, and actually driven it out. Ya, he never parked in front of our shop again, and order was temporarily restored to the parking universe (well as much as it can be in Richmond, anyway!). :snail:

Xist 02-17-2014 12:07 PM

What if you purchase a can of Slime and use the valve stem tool on a can of Great Stuff?

War_Wagon 02-17-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 411519)
What if you purchase a can of Slime and use the valve stem tool on a can of Great Stuff?

I think you just invented Redneck Runflats! Perfect for evading them revenuer's after your latest batch of 'shine!

slowmover 02-17-2014 03:25 PM

I've noticed the relationship between small cars and the "inability" to park. Related to the "ability" to drive well. These folks can only follow the front wheels around (and have no concept of using mirrors incidentally) and believe that they have done their job well if what is in front of them is "parked".

Doesn't matter that the rear of the car is over the line. Etc.

It might take a time or two to line up and park my behemoth Dodge truck so that it is centered in the spot. Part of the price of owning it. Can't say I haven't made things a bit more difficult to re-enter for those over into or against "my" spot as I center mine.

I usually record their license plate and a photo of the arrangement. Believe it that this is all a last ditch effort at parking . . it's too much trouble otherwise.

The smaller the car, the less likely it is well parked.

sheepdog 44 02-17-2014 03:50 PM

I find the expensive cars to be parked well, with a curb on two sides, 50 feet away from any other car in a secluded corner. I'm glad they do. I came across a lexus LFA which is an underpowered unremarkable car considering it costs $375,000. I said nope! Pulled over to get away from it.

Quote:

I do that too sometimes, then when i come out of the grocery store i can't find my car! The darn thing is to small, to short to see without wandering aimlessly looking for it.

Pandaf 02-17-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmover (Post 411547)
The smaller the car, the less likely it is well parked.

Interesting. Here I find it is usually the opposite. :confused:

doviatt 02-17-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandaf (Post 411551)
Interesting. Here I find it is usually the opposite. :confused:

I'll have to agree with this one. I rarely see a small (especially economy) car misbehave while parking. They have no motives to do so.
The luxury car owners are smart enough to park far and away and walk the distance when reasonable people. When they don't behave we know them for what they are.
Small car owners can be A-holes too but they present themselves in a different manner generally.

RedDevil 02-17-2014 05:12 PM

At my company car park some of the bigger car owners park their oversized ego trips straight over the middle of the line separating the (atmittedly narrow) parking spots, as if they want to say "Hey, my car is just too big to fit into these tiny spots".
I need to bring my kids to school, and when I arrive at work the last available slot has just been filled, but there would still be several empty spots if not for these... colleagues...

What aggravates the situation is that parking licenses have been issued to all women and furthermore to people of a certain age and company history. But when the beams go up the younger men try to sneak by tailgating someone who has the parking license, filling the lot prematurely and forcing the elderly to use a general parking spot at 10 minutes walk away.
(to be honest I'm not old yet; sending regards to Abraham soon ;) but I do have the license)

They may wonder who keeps putting their windscreen wipers off their windows. They do no damage. I do no damage. I hope they are annoyed, though.

Frank Lee 02-17-2014 05:15 PM

What if the lines were all spike strips... :thumbup:

Grant-53 02-17-2014 06:33 PM

I would step on them, ouch! I like to park next to a car with the same color paint when possible. Our silver van has the spare on the roof now since the underneath spare tire won't lower. We can spot it easily. People who are careless or impatient tend to end up wasting time with accidents.

Xist 02-17-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

How often did you find grocery carts behind your car? :)

I was the first one at work when I owned my Prelude and there was a semi with trailer parked in the driving area between lanes. Without trying to drive under the trailer, I parked sideways, in two spots.

Presumably, the adjacent spots were the first ones to fill up once the truck moved.

Cobb 02-17-2014 08:43 PM

I worked for a bank, most people carried their money in a bag, purse or wallet. Thats assuming they had any. :eek:

I could see my car from my desk and I get my jollys watching people search for a spot and race to my spot and start to park just to stop once they saw my little car.