EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Forum News & Feedback (https://ecomodder.com/forum/forum-news-feedback.html)
-   -   PhotoBucket rushes to help Ecomodder (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/photobucket-rushes-help-ecomodder-35321.html)

aerohead 06-30-2017 01:06 PM

PhotoBucket rushes to help Ecomodder

Looks like all PhotoBucket linked images have vanished at Ecomodder.
Can't thank them enough for the help.
For $400 /year now I can do what cost $zero a week or so ago.
Dark Age 2.0.
At a thousand words per image,and 71-pages of images I can see no literacy ahead.I can't speak pixels.

MetroMPG 06-30-2017 03:38 PM

Yup, it's unfortunate.

Their new policy will have wrecked threads on thousands of other sites affecting probably hundreds of thousands of users (if not more, in both cases).

I realize our forum photo uploading feature & albums aren't as user-friendly.

But the disadvantage of 3rd party sites is we have no control over what they decide to do. Some have gone completely out of business, and the photos went "poof" into the ether. That affected me directly, about 10 years ago, and I decided to only host my images directly on the forum. (Or on domains I control.)

I'm reluctant to do a query to find out how many thousands of photobucket images are now broken on EcoModder.

RedDevil 06-30-2017 04:36 PM

Put it in the cloud, and it drifts away with the weather.

Photobucket stands for the 'host' in 'hostage'.
Imgur seems fine so far. Today.

I hardly use Ecomodders photo uploading feature. It limits the size to VGA and number of pictures per album to clock. I can work around the album limitation, but the size issue is tedious.
At least it is better than InsightCentral which blocks its images from non-members. I cannot even refer to posts on IC if it has images hosted on an IC photo album - those would not show! So that one is definitely a goner.

Of course, if you lift or shift the limitations it will increase the data use on Ecomodder's servers. Your host server probably has data limits in accordance to a hosting fee, so it may cost you.

But I know there are members here on Ecomodder who are very glad with the services provided in general and are happy to have an excuse to make a small financial contribution to the site, if that upgrades their photo album and picture size to gee nice and the color of the star to gold ;)

I am willing to invest say $25 and have bigger photo alba. And never mind the star, I like it red - it contrasts nicely with my political views. :D
Anyone with me on this? (bar views ;))

MetroMPG 06-30-2017 04:40 PM

Good idears. You should be an entrepreneur.

I'll look-see if I can tie album / upload settings to membership group...

MetroMPG 06-30-2017 04:41 PM

PS: I agree it's tedious to resize images to get around the limits.

But I've done it so many times, it's become a muscle memory keystroke procedure.

Stubby79 06-30-2017 04:42 PM

My ISP stopped hosting photos 6 months back. I switched to PhotoBucket...guess I'll be deleting my account there. It serves NO purpose if they won't let me link to the pics.

MetroMPG 06-30-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 544291)
Put it in the cloud, and it drifts away with the weather.

Photobucket stands for the 'host' in 'hostage'.

PS: ha, funny.

And, yes, I can change album settings by usergroup. What would be an appropriate pixel size (W x H) setting?

kach22i 06-30-2017 05:53 PM

I have a Photobucket account, been paying the extra $50 a year for some extra features.

I got that notice everyone else received but didn't look into the cost. No way $400 is going to them after this, what the heck were they thinking?

I went back to some old threads were a photo once was, nothing but a gray square saying "PLEASE UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT TO ENABLE 3RD PARTY HOSTING".

redneck 06-30-2017 06:26 PM

I use photobucket and the pictures I link to my posts are still there.

Whats different?

:confused:

>

redpoint5 06-30-2017 07:02 PM

Time for me to pay for a domain name and fire up a web server of my own. I don't like putting other media on "the cloud", so I shouldn't treat forum images any differently.