Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

pickup mid-body aerodynamics? (neither nose nor tail)

I started in this direction of thought in another thread then realized it probably needs it's own discussion...

In a situation of say an aeromodded front with a pickup... and an aeromodded trailer with a boat tail... how important is the in-between area? I know people talk about trying to blend/connect the tow vehicle to the trailer, but I was also wondering how the aero of the open pickup bed and such affects it. Some tests have shown that under some conditions having the pickup tailgate up instead of down is better aero. Driving With Tailgate Up Is Fuel Efficient : Discovery Channel I am curious whether the "separated bubble" is the same FE as say, a topper connected to a trailer of similar profile.. whether it's only the laminar flow that matters, or whether the 'bubble' still causes some drag even if less drag than you think because of smooth flow.

What i'm wondering is whether you might be able to use some kind of similar 'trick' on say the front edge of one body like a bit of a lip to kick the airflow out slightly, to get the airflow to go right to the trailer, without actually being physically connected and without any real increase in drag...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
The answers to your questions, in this and your other threads are in this book: Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles: From Fluid Mechanics to Vehicle Engineering ([Proceedings] / SAE): Wolf-Heinrich Hucho: 9780768000290: Amazon.com: Books

Hucho is THE source for these type questions.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
stillsearching (05-13-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Ecomodder (specifically aerohead) is the source for examples gleaned from Hucho.

Quote:
...a bit of a lip to kick the airflow out slightly...
This doesn't happen.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Aerohead actually somewhat understands Hucho, which puts him ahead of me.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsearching View Post
I started in this direction of thought in another thread then realized it probably needs it's own discussion...

In a situation of say an aeromodded front with a pickup... and an aeromodded trailer with a boat tail... how important is the in-between area? I know people talk about trying to blend/connect the tow vehicle to the trailer, but I was also wondering how the aero of the open pickup bed and such affects it. Some tests have shown that under some conditions having the pickup tailgate up instead of down is better aero. Driving With Tailgate Up Is Fuel Efficient : Discovery Channel I am curious whether the "separated bubble" is the same FE as say, a topper connected to a trailer of similar profile.. whether it's only the laminar flow that matters, or whether the 'bubble' still causes some drag even if less drag than you think because of smooth flow.

What i'm wondering is whether you might be able to use some kind of similar 'trick' on say the front edge of one body like a bit of a lip to kick the airflow out slightly, to get the airflow to go right to the trailer, without actually being physically connected and without any real increase in drag...
Please see the thread 'full-boat-tail trailer',on page 2 of the forum,then page-25 of the thread,#248 permalink.You'll find a graphic I made from Abbott and Von Doenhoff's 'The Theory of Wing Sections,' and you can see the difference in drag based on 'gaps' and where the gaps are positioned on the wing.