Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2023, 01:19 PM   #181 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,819 Times in 7,276 Posts
Does the rear have an anti-roll bar?

There's also PolyMetal/Alumapanel.

These test panels were braked, sheared and rolled by hand (with an 18" lever arm). I like that they are prefinished. Available in 4x12 and 5x10 sheets for your bellypan needs.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-21-2023, 01:32 PM   #182 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Location: North of the 55 parallel Mb Canada 740kms(500miles)north of Winnipeg
Yes anti roll bar with drop links, front and back. 3300 lb payload in the back without squat but because it's a gas and not diesel I only have 15,500 lb towing capabilities. Have you ever seen semi truck rolling down the highway with side squirts to close the gap between trailer wheels? I'd like to use that idea on the side of my truck due to how high it is off the ground. Those panels you have in the picture look like a promising venture.
freebeard (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 02:01 PM   #183 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Then the antiroll bar attachment points become bellypan attachment points.

Speaking of pickup truck aerodynamics, here's an update on Canoo (linked no embedded because some here don't like the Electric Viking).

How American EV company Canoo was saved from bankruptcy just in time

It gives a rundown of the company's history, personnel and drama; but what I found interesting is that the salvation came from the Oklahoma state government and the Cherokee Nation. with deep ties to China and Germany, and facilities in California, Detroit and Texas.

It's a worthy successor to that form factor last seen in the VW Type II crew cab, plus a frunk.

Old 12-21-2023, 07:51 PM   #184 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think those Canoo trucks are very cool and to me the best choice out of all the ones out there. I had have been keeping track of the different company's but until battery tech gets to the next level and costs come down, I'll never own one. Mostly due to the fact I live way to far from anything to support them and the current battery tech is not very efficient in 6 months of cold climate. We have cold weather testing up here, jet engines, Honda, sometimes we see ford, Ram and most snowmobile companies do too. When it's -40 c they all go home because that's to cold for them. When I see EV's being tested then that will be a sign.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:56 PM   #185 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

BlackGold6.4, you are very close to where I am based on your profile info. I’ve created a thread on a 1996 Civic Hatchback I’m building to handle Manitoban winters. Perhaps I can share some ideas with you or help inspire once I start working on it. Our winters are pretty brutal. Icy lately!

Does your ram have the air-ride package? While it’s costly and finicky, that reduces drag quite a bit. If there’s not too much wiring and crap, you can build panels that are attached to your control arms which can help some. You can fashion a front airdam as well.

Big savings can be had by messing with the bed. aerohead’s truck has had some great examples of different modifications that work well. I think the streamlined bed caps are debatably the best mod to increase mileage on a truck.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:01 PM   #186 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Big savings can be had by messing with the bed

Camper world racers employ a spoiler that reaches to the magical line define by aerohead's Template. This is somewhere between a spoiler and a half tonneau.

The manager of this pizza parlor said it improved the gas mileage bu didn't know by how much. I'd round or chamfer the corners.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
BlackGold6.4 (12-22-2023), JacobLeSann (12-21-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 12:53 PM   #187 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh ya I have a plan there too.. but it will be part of a home built cap with a tapered shape. The top portion will lift up to allow access among other storage options too. I have been a woodworker for about 30 years so I,m excited to get on that project. It's awesome being retired and only 57ish.
Old 12-22-2023, 01:05 PM   #188 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I took my family on a huge holidays with my truck. We went 9000 Kms round trip. Had a tonneau cover with a swing-out pup on the back receiver that was kinda tear dropped shaped. With 6 people in the truck and more that 2000lbs of gear we achieved 14L/100kms at 120 KMs from Buffalo to Chicago ( Camp grounds to camp grounds). I was blown away at the fuel mileage we made at 70ish MPH. It was the pup on the back and it's shape that helped achieve those numbers with almost 10,000 lbs rolling down the interstate at getting passed speeds. With the off-roading and exploring, you name it we averaged 16l/100kms on that trip and those are bragging rights there for such a big truck.
JacobLeSann (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 01:55 PM   #189 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
a swing-out pup on the back receiver...
Pix?

The cap will be wood? Stitch and glue 1/4" (6mm) plywood?

I've thought that the easy path would be to get an aluminum cap, slant chop it and put it on hood hinges for loading.

Old 12-22-2023, 04:25 PM   #190 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No .. I'll use wood for the form, the cap will mostly Styrofoam and fibreglass with some Aluminium in parts for strength. It will be flush at the top of the cab, then slop down some to the back. The top few inches will be hinged so it pops up like a tent with canvas sides so there will be standing room at the tailgate area. All I have is sketches of it but once it's drawn up I'll post something.

freebeard (12-22-2023), JacobLeSann (12-22-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread