Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I'd put iridiums on par or ever so slightly better than platinums. And multiple electrodes arre a bad idea. The heat of the spark will keep a single electrode clean just fine, but if you add multiple electrodes, the heat is distributed throughout whichever electrode happens to have a lower resistance at that particular moment. which would lead to 3 fouled electrodes with one that is still being used.

I have seen platinums burn down to below the ceramic insulation before, so I'm testing a set of NGK iridiums in both my Nissan 3L to see how they fare. I'll update ya'll in about 5 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
I've never quite understood the multi-tipped plugs, the spark will travel the path of least resistance, one tip at a time, not all of the tips at once (like in commercials).

For those looking to find NGK plugs cheaper, try RockAuto Auto Parts . Autozone has them for $8/plug on my '87 CRX HF, and I got them for $2/plug from RockAuto. Shipping with a load of other parts was only 6 bucks or so, I don't quite remember. Never the less, massive deal.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...about the only true benefit of multiple tips is that they effectively maintain gap distance at about the same distance for longer periods of time, because as one electrode gap lengthens, the next closest gap "takes over" firing duties, and so on.

Reply  Post New Thread