EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Plug in insurance monitors (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/plug-insurance-monitors-32123.html)

ShaneRoss37 06-09-2015 05:03 PM

Plug in insurance monitors

I am nearly done the assessment period with an OBDII GPS plug in from the insurance company. It is looking for hard braking, hard acceleration and driving between midnight and 4am.

Has anyone else had any experience with these?

I've noticed an small improvement in my MPG because I'm accelerating better and being more mindful of my speed.

Just curious of other people's thoughts, experiences, etc...

Frank Lee 06-09-2015 05:05 PM

Google Search Results - EcoModder.com

ShaneRoss37 06-09-2015 05:09 PM

Nothing a little more recent?

Frank Lee 06-09-2015 06:25 PM

Has something changed?

dirtydave 06-09-2015 10:49 PM

just need a splitter so you can still use a gauge

dirtydave 06-09-2015 10:55 PM

but why the penalty for the night crew?

almost no one is on the road at 1am

California98Civic 06-09-2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 482740)
but why the penalty for the night crew?

almost no one is on the road at 1am

Apparently, rush hour, 3-6pm, is among the most likely times for accidents, so yeah, why just pick on the night shift? But then there is this, apparentky from AAA: "31% of fatal drunk-driving accidents occur on the weekend, and the highest number of drunk drivers is on the road between midnight and 3 a.m. Fatal crashes are also four times higher at night than during the day."

The Most Dangerous Times on the Road

dirtydave 06-09-2015 11:39 PM

oh yeah good point.

2009Toyotoad 06-10-2015 01:02 AM

Personally as someone who always attains MPG combined of 110% more than the vehicles EPA highway rating, I've find it a little annoying that a little recorder is going to suggest it can improve my driving skills. It reminds me of when the Toyota Prius and Civic Hybrids first hit the road with the graphical display of preferred driving behavior.

Those annoying little "So-in-So" trying to obtain the optimal MPG display so they could post it to the web. Gladden my heart when the CHP started cracking down on those social climbing "eco-want to-be" fools.

These insurance recorders are just another socially conscious marketing campaign. Am I cynical? Perhaps but insurance rates are what they are. Its always been about supply/demand and profitability.

I know..... lets tax people based on miles driven per year because improved mpg has left state highway repair funds depleted . That will encourage us to drive more responsibly.........Not!

dirtydave 06-10-2015 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2009Toyotoad (Post 482755)
Personally as someone who always attains MPG combined of 110% more than the vehicles EPA highway rating

damn son where is the fuel log ?!?!