EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   POLL: why don't you have a garage entry / fuel log? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/poll-why-dont-you-have-garage-entry-fuel-8790.html)

MetroMPG 06-15-2009 11:01 AM

POLL: why don't you have a garage entry / fuel log?

I have had this conversation with several moderators/EM members: there are more than a couple of active members who post regularly on EcoModder, but don't have a garage entry for their vehicle(s) and/or don't keep a fuel log.

Why not?

If that applies to you, please vote!

(Of course everyone is welcome to discuss).

MetroMPG 06-15-2009 11:14 AM

I think one reason the topic has come up repeatedly is that some members view a fuel log as a kind of stand-in for "reputation". (Usually the topic comes up if they disagree strongly with someone who doesn't have a garage entry or log!)

I can see the point.

But there are also more than a couple of EM members with no garage/fuel logs whose contributions and expertise I value a lot.

doviatt 06-15-2009 11:20 AM

I post my log so....I'll discuss.
I feel that it adds credibility to position and statements made. I always check someones fuel log to see if they are even close to acting like they present themselves. If I don't see one It usually diminishes the weight I place on their information. Sometimes the lack of a log does in fact clearly prove their position. I never judge the type of vehicle just the results and improvements posted. I like to see those doing the best with what they have.

I also appreciate those willing to experiment and show failures in their logs. All data is good data. Bad results or performance gives you something to improve upon. Especially if it is for an explained cause or allows you to find out that something unexpected went wrong.

Edit: I agree with this statement.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 110035)
Quote But there are also more than a couple of EM members with no garage/fuel logs whose contributions and expertise I value a lot.

bikin' Ed 06-15-2009 11:33 AM

No option

My reason for not posting isn't listed. I never get to drive a full tank unless I'm on a trip--and posting just hwy. isn't quite right.

I really try to ride my bike when I can, therefore the truck is there for another family member to use--and they do. With 3-4 drivers over the course of a tank the results would never be consistant.

I do zero the computer and check my mileage, which I can tell you is a pretty consistant 20.5 mpg around town for the Dakota.

wagonman76 06-15-2009 12:35 PM

I enter the vehicles that I mainly drive and am able to at least try to save fuel. I didn't enter my van because the wife usually drives it and she doesn't try to save fuel. And when I drive it, it is for utility purposes like hauling things or mainly towing, which is not typical use either. Once in a blue moon I have driven it to work and have gotten 28 mpg, I am sure I could get 30 mpg downstate. I expect my fuel log to be for others to read and should consist of typical use for a vehicle.

tasdrouille 06-15-2009 12:52 PM

Having no fuel log is only an issue when you are involved in an argumentation based on personal opinion, which always sucks even if you have the best looking fuel log out there. When you participate and contribute it doesn't really matter.

Personally, I think that if you are to take the time to participate and contribute, maintaining a fuel log is really not much effort and can only do you good.

jamesqf 06-15-2009 01:08 PM

"I keep the info elsewhere" comes closest to my situation. I drive a Honda Insight, which automatically keeps track of the lifetime (reset shortly after I bought it), tank and trip mpg.

MetroMPG 06-15-2009 01:38 PM

Bikin' Ed & Wagonman: That's an interesting reason - sharing a vehicle with other people who pollute your results!

PaleMelanesian 06-15-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonman76 (Post 110053)
I enter the vehicles that I mainly drive and am able to at least try to save fuel. I didn't enter my van because the wife usually drives it and she doesn't try to save fuel.

Exactly why I don't log the 2004 Odyssey. I only drive it on weekends and family trips. I log its mileage in a spreadsheet for my own records. ~21 mpg average. I've had it over 30 for several highway trips and for some in-town trips, so you can see the difference the driver makes.

I don't think a log for a good-but-normal driver in a stock vehicle contributes anything to this site.

Piwoslaw 06-15-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 110072)
Bikin' Ed & Wagonman: That's an interesting reason - sharing a vehicle with other people who pollute your results!

I enter my car's data, even though Dad-in-law borrows it every few weeks, and he loves high rpm's, going over the speed limit, no coasting or engine braking, and everything my diesel just hates. His is the other car in the house (or the only car in the house, since mine sleeps outside), and I don't even dare ask him to keep a log.
Soon the Wife will have her licence, so my share of each tank will drop even further. But at least there is a chance that my ecodriving will have an influence on her :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 110079)
I don't think a log for a good-but-normal driver in a stock vehicle contributes anything to this site.

It would be nice to see how close, or how far, the EPA ratings are to the typical, good-but-normal driver.