Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I'm not aware of anyone that's done it publicly, but it's a matter of reasoning. If your T case has a low-end ratio of 10:1, and you flip it around, it's now 1:10, or .1:1.

Would be neat to see someone do it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Whoa. Sorry to go so long without posting in my own thread, but you know how the holidays can be.

Aero, I appreciate you digging up that issue for me. I'll see if I can't track down a copy later today.

Christ, I came across a thread about doing something similar. I'll find it and post it here later today, but basically the idea was to use a New Process 205 transfer case as an old-fashioned overdrive unit. It is only a 2:1 ratio, but that's a 50% reducer. Also, they can be found used for about $300.

Frank, the reason I don't try to re-gear the transmission and rear-end to accomplish the same thing is that there is no way that I could accomplish what I want at higher speeds without killing the low end. I have a low horsepower, relatively low RPM engine. At higher speeds, the engine has to maintain a high (for it) RPM. If I use an overdrive unit, it will increase my top end and allow me to keep the engine in its most effect RPM. If I lower the rear end ratio, or up the transmission ratios, it will lower the necessary RPM but negatively impact my top end and acceleration. Also, with what they charge for transmission work around here, I could almost buy that 3k gear vendors unit.

Reply  Post New Thread