Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
I can only assume that all your driving is up steep hills..

Because, the average C gets 51.3 MPG.

Toyota Prius C MPG Reports | Fuelly

This a 5.3 mile drive home from work, with lots of hills..

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not if you're driving just one mile either way, it won't! Like I said, my girl's school trip is a measly 1.5 miles, and it's through traffic at two intersections on a busy national road.

My driving is in very hot weather, and, as I said, the AC seems to drain the batteries within several minutes.

Several minutes, by the way, is the length of my cold school trip. It's also the amount of time I spend stationary at the toll gate after a highway trip, watching that hard won battery charge slip away. When I'm not on the highway, my in-town speed average is a wretched ten miles an hour or so. Most in-town trips are under five miles with no stoplights but dozens of unpredictable stops due to incredible congestion. Within those five miles, I'm lucky if I can get up to more than 20 mph more than once so I can do a good regen stop or glide. And if I do get up a head of steam, a bus or motorbike will come screeching to a halt in front of me to drop off passengers, often cutting me off in the process. We're talking near-Indian levels of chaos here.

When I did get out to the city, I managed to eke out mixed numbers in traffic in the 55 range. Pretty damn good. On a mostly (hilly) highway trip, I'm doing 60 to 65. If I had the car longer, I would have taken it on my inspection tour, to see what a really long, flat highway can do for economy.

Like I said... It's merely a comment on how low economy is on a cold start. still got nearly twice what I can get out of the most economical gasoline car I've driven on the same short route, though our local super-minis can give the Prius C a run for its money on the highway.

Last edited by niky; 11-27-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

My C-Max - '13 Ford C-Max SEL
My C-Max sees poor mileage (about 25mpg) for the first 5 minutes or so. Then it is around 35mpg for the next 10 minutes. After that, it goes up to the high 40s or low 50s (maybe 48 to 52mpg or so). The bummer is, if I want to see the EPA rating of 47mpg, it takes my full day of driving to counteract those freakin nasty first few miles at a low MPG.

Oh, I can also say that my mileage (100 mile days with mostly town to town driving) at 20 degrees outside temp is around 43mpg. At 35 degrees, that average is 47mpg. Above 50 degrees, I can easily finish my 100+ mile day at over 52mpg.

The only difference in these days of driving is the temperature.

Strange how wildy the mileage can be affected by just the air temp.

I wonder how much of this is battery inefficiency due to low temp? Maybe an electric heating pad on top of the pack to warm it up in the morning would be worth a try?

Matt
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #34 (permalink)

I need to winterize my car too. Grill block, block heater, warm air intake.

Warming up the engine is terrible. Today i had warmer temps and an errand before my commute. Once warmed up, I finally felt like the car was gliding again. Going from 68mpg to 60.8mpg. A 1 litre engine makes so little heat when you burn 1/60th of a gallon a mile to move a car!