Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

DSGs have fantastically short shift times... close enough to instantaneous that you can't tell the difference. The issue, however, is that you only get instant shifts because the next gear is attached to the second clutch... try a double downshift and things get as slow as (or slower than) a regular automatic.

And many DSGs have issues in low speed traffic, where the clutches take on a binary "on-off" character. One reason I would never buy a Fiesta dual clutch.

Single clutch autos... as others have said... learn to lift off between shifts and blip on downshifts, and you're fine. Best in manual mode... so you can synchronise these things... leave it in auto and things get very clunky... and shift times get very long.

No-clutch... been there, too... amusing to see how far you can drive in traffic before you're forced to use the clutch pedal...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

My lupo has an automated clutch, its only as good as the mapping/software which IMHO is usually ****, as per every manufacturers system that has gone so far. The DSG systems however are a lot better

Kermit the Lupo 3L 1.2 Tdi with a current mpg record of 114mpg (imperial) Now sold

G1 JDM Insight I hate the ride but love the quirkiness
Old 07-29-2015, 09:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm a bit confused. It can run in EV only mode? Does the 48v motor drive the trans directly, or does it spin the motor with the fuel injection off? That seems rather wasteful, unless it closed the valves on all cylinders like partial cylinder deactivation does with just some.

I still think the best way to go is a small fwd manual with a small motor driving a light rear diff. THis would allow slow and stop and go ev operation, regen and when needed 4x4.It could be added to existing designs with very little modification.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I still think the best way to go is a small fwd manual with a small motor driving a light rear diff. THis would allow slow and stop and go ev operation, regen and when needed 4x4.It could be added to existing designs with very little modification.
Peugeot already uses it in production models, but they use an AMT instead of a simple MT.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
quire