Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Prius shopping

Is there a generation or vintage of used Prius to prefer, or to avoid? When shopping for one, is it pretty much a matter of budget vs condition etc.? In other words, pick the one in the best condition/mileage for the money without having to worry about getting the right vintage?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
There are a few minor things, but nothing major. I'd look for a 2nd gen (2004-2009) instead of a first gen.
TexasCotton (03-08-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

First gens are, quite frankly, not better in any way than the 2nd gens except external dimensions (smaller, smaller turning circle). But it's a 30ish% price jump from an 03 to 04. I'm very happy with my 01 that I paid 4200 Canadian for.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
From what I've heard, first gen Prius have a potential issue with the transmission/drive motor going bad, I have one friend who parted their Prius out after having this issue and I saw a Prius transmission that was pulled apart at a repair shop because of the same issue, not sure if this was an issue with a single year/batch or if it's something that will just happen after a set number of miles.
From what I read about 2nd generation Prius is that the taxi drivers who have them love them and find them to be very low cost to own with very few repairs.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Also remember to get a decent deal on a prius you need to travel, up here in the great white north all drivable prius regardless of age, condition and mileage are $7k and up and frankly not worth it.

If the cars actually sell for what people are asking I think I am in the wrong business, import high mileage southern/western cars and sell them for 2x to suckers in the rust belt.

I placed a WTB ad in craigslist stating I would pay the nada book value minus conditional issues on a prius older than 2006, I showed that certain combinations (age/mileage) where valued around $5k or less per retail blue book. Every time I place that add, it gets removed for violating terms even though its in the Wanted section and links to nada.

People like to keep the illusion that things are worth much more than blue book for some reason.

Ah well.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I don't think it's just the great white north. I checked the local (Reno) Craigslist, and the cheapest of the 3 listed, an '04, is asking $11K.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I don't think it's just the great white north. I checked the local (Reno) Craigslist, and the cheapest of the 3 listed, an '04, is asking $11K.
That is just plain gouging.

An $11k 9 year old car with a reliable (yes) transaxle that is prohibitively expensive to repair if/when it does go for a couple MPG over an antique econobox is stupid.

Its unfortunate that people are so reactive to gas. The instant it drops of coarse they will trade the prius back in for a dodge crewcab.

And lately I have found 01-05ish cars in the $5k area down south (high miles), but its always down south (at least of me, maybe east or west of you)
I even asked for a prius with a bad battery (for several years) for $5k or under (older than 06 again) in the same ad but it keeps getting deleted.

Its quite sad when its about the same price to buy new as buying a 4yr old car.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gen II Prianista

Unless I was tightly price restrained, I'd go for a Gen II, '04-09.

The following from my driving an '08 prius and being a
PRIUSchat.com member for four years:

But even then I'd look for a '06-09. The '04 & '05 have shown
a disturbing frequency of failures in the "combination meter"
the info screen, having to do with bad solder connections.
It's fixable but you have to take it out and send it off for
repairs. IIRC, dealers want ~$2K to repair.

There is also an unconfirmed possibility that after '06 the
traction control was made less sensitive allowing some
wheel spin in slippery conditions.

Of late, there have been a small but unnerving number of
Gen IIs from areas with long hot summers having HV battery
failures at maybe 80K miles or so. The failures most often are
single cell failures. The e-smart DIY types can replace single cells
at maybe $50 each from ebay. Reconditioned used complete HV
batteries go for ~$1K, but a dealer won't install one.

That said, there is every reason to believe that the HV battery
is good for at least 200K miles.

Unless you are very e-savy and well experienced rebuilder,
stay well clear of any salvage title Prii.

Lastly, there are some recommended service/parts replacement
that occur around 100K miles. These come to maybe $2K at a dealer.
What services you need and what you don't - PriusChat Forums

I'd recommend that if you're considering a used Prius you spend
some time in the Gen II forums at PRIUSchat to get a feel for
things. Also use the search function to dig into the archives for
specific topics, ie, combination meter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rokeby For This Useful Post:
kurzer (03-13-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I personally like the style thats one body style older and in white.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
I like horsing around with old cars / high FE cars, so I don't get too carried away with what I will pay for them. I picked up my 2001 Prius with 150,000 kms (93000 miles) for cheap off a dealership that had it traded in and had no interest in selling it to the public because they didn't want any grief from a retail customer buying it from them and having issues with it and bringing it back to them as they didn't know anything about it either.

We are kind of in a weird position with older hybrids at the moment. They appeal to a fairly small group of people that know a bit about them and are frankly willing to roll the dice on them. Generally, anyone selling a used 10 year old hybrid privately knows exactly what it is, as they either bought it new, or is one of those people that is in that small group and got a deal on it. Some of them are probably the same people trying to get $11k for them. Man I should do that! Vegas eh?? Hmmm. Anyway, this may be one of the few situations where buying a car from a dealer or from an auction could really save you a lot of dough, but you have to have done all your research and know what you are looking at. From the dealer's point of view, he took in a car that he gave the customer $Xxxx in trade in value for. He already made his money when he sold the new car to the customer. So now he has this 2001 Prius on his lot. He's a Suzuki dealer, what's he know about 11 year old Toyota hybrids? He knows he needs to get rid of it and get at least what he gave the person as trade in for it (well less than that actually is he is a good salesman, it's an artform how some of these guys write in a trade) So you see it sitting in the back of a dealership, go in and say you are interested in it, you know about them, it will probably need some work but you are willing to take a chance on it and not come crying back to him if it goes wrong, as long as he gives you a decent price. Old hybrids are one of those weird markets where the dealer's options really are limited, and the well informed buyer really does have the advantage and the leverage. You have cash, he has what he sees as a possible headache on his lot he wants nothing to do with, and you know your stuff and are willing to take a chance. Just my .02, but something to keep in mind anyway.