Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

l&s' Jag - '00 Jaguar S-Type SE
90 day: 25.86 mpg (US)

l&s' Vision - '82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
90 day: 59.92 mpg (US)

L&S' Greenaero Ninja 250 - '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F Ninja 250R
90 day: 97.24 mpg (US)

SilverAero Ninja 250 - '04 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja
90 day: 88.24 mpg (US)
Does your Spouse support your hypermiling ?

I have been riding my motorcycle a lot more and driving less. My wife has needed to use my car a fair amount recently as I did some maintenance on her SUV or I needed to use the SUV for the extra carrying capacity . Her driving my car knocked my tankfill average in my Jag from around 28- 30 mpg to 24- 26 mpg tankfills. This was with me doing about half the driving for these tankfills. She is wonderful and the love but of wife but definitely not a hypermiler.
Just to see if she would notice, I started doing a few " stealth mods" to her SUV to see if she would notice ( upper grille block, removed roof carrier crossbars, upped tire pressures to 42 psi). So far she has only noticed the higher tire inflation and asked me to reduce it back to the manufacturer recommendation. Its kind of amusing, like Spy vs Spy or Roadrunner vs Wiley Coyote.
Please share some of your experiences.
all the best , L&S

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
mostly harmless

Herman - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 28.89 mpg (US)
Since my technique isn't very extreme, my wife is more interested in learning about driving more efficiently. I don't think that would be the case if I were EOC'ing, close-drafting, and the like. Now, though, with a little help from me, we're both busting the EPA ratings in our respective cars, and she's getting a kick out of that at the gas pump.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
My techniques are fairly stealthy. She sometimes gets a little antsy when I come off the Interstate and never touch the brakes.
She understands and appreciates the fact that we have saved a considerable sum of money from driving efficiently and she appreciates my knowledge of which vehicles are her best choice for highest possible mileage.
She does insist on buying tall vehicles for visibility and protection, which is something I would not do myself, and she is concerned about me being injured on a motorcycle, even though after 15k plus miles on bikes I have reached the point where I can anticipate the stupid actions of others and take measures to not let them become a threat. It requires your aggressive behavior to be under control at all times.
She is an independent thinker who appreciates saving money, because at times in her life she had to raise 2 children on a very small income with little or no support from her children's father, who did not have the means.

Any time we are together I am always the driver.
Enough said?

regards
Mech
Old 11-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Grasshopper - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Team Ford
90 day: 50.37 mpg (US)

Feejer - '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.73 mpg (US)
My wife considers hypermiling to be just another one of my eccentricities.

I try really hard not to pester her about it, but it is rubbing off on her. We took her Ford Sportrac on a trip to visit my folks. When we took off I reset the fuel consumption display (it was showing 18.2 and she never resets it). When we got to my folks it was showing 26.4. Last week she had to go back up near my parents for a doctors appointment. When she got back she told me she thought about our last trip and reset the gauge. She had it up to 22.* by the time she got to the doctors office.

Kirk
Old 11-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
My wife fully supports my hypermiling techniques, and even tries some of the techniques herself.

In fact, she was willing to give me time over the summer specifically to work on my aerocap. Heh, now, though, she says that it's good enough for now and doesn't agree that I need to start work on a version 3 aerocap. The version 2 aerocap did take a lot of effort and time to design and construct, though, so I can understand why she tells me this.

Last edited by t vago; 12-01-2011 at 02:42 AM..
Old 11-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
I tried to get her to drive better and do a few mods but she's not interested. With the escape she was getting 14.5 mpg and now with the civic 25mpg. Thank god we switched cars lol

Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Not married or dating but the lady I live/own a house with, with gets above EPA in her car, I do the tune ups on it and keep the tires up to the max side wall pressure and she's all for coasting up to stop lights, shutting the engine off if it's going to be a long light and tends to go the speed limit or slower and tends to ask me to take a look at her car if she notices her mileage drop.
She also really likes my Civic VX and wants me find one for her and never objects to my driving or to going places in my electric car, she's up for anything that will save a bit of gas.

Last edited by Ryland; 12-01-2011 at 08:29 AM..
Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ecomodder

Cobalt XFE - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)

'05 Malibu V6 Tow Vehicle/Track Car - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)

'08 XFE average for 2013 - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)
My wife hates my hypermiling and any ecomods she can spot from less then 10ft.
She also doesn't recycle which has started fights when I start pulling stuff out of the trash bag that should have been recycled.

The only thing I have been able to do to her car is raise the tire pressure to around 38 - 40 psi (sidewall max 44 psi). Even that was only because she got a slow leak once and since I only check her car out once between me doing oil changes it had gotten down to like 25 psi. She doesn't even think of it as an eco mod but instead as a safety feature in the case of a slow leak it would give more time to notice that change.

I have no clue what gas mileage she gets due the the mpg meter in her car being much more inaccurate then mine and when she got tires a few years ago she got the wrong size and her speedometer is off and reads about 4% faster then she is actually going making her odometer off and tracking at the pump inaccurate also. I guess you could call that a stealth mod as she always thinks she is going 2 or 3 mph faster then she actually is. Unfortunate the 80k mile tires she got are far from LRR tires.

I do plan on replacing her tires sometime next year with some LRR all season tires and having an alignment done to bring the car a little closer to 0 toe which should help

2012 mpg
Old 12-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoBus Driver

EcoBus - '09 VW Multivan SL TDI 103 KW
90 day: 42.1 mpg (US)
My wife gladly accepts my low diesel bills, but when sitting beside me, cannot resist to... er... criticize my driving style in a non-supportive way, to put it mildly. Especially switching to neutral while still moving sets her off... must be something about presumed loss of control :-)

Her lower mileage is always due to traffic lights, congestion etc. and has nothing to do with her driving

so long,

tinduck
Old 12-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
Most of the women I have run into have very heavy foots. I think they prefer performance over economy. Yes, that goes for other things too!

My wife does ok for saving fuel but old habits are hard to change.