Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
A plastic cover can cause a glare that prevents the plate from being read from some directions, and I believe that some plastic covers are designed to diffuse the LIDAR laser beam; preventing it from working.

So, I think there are legitimate reasons for such regulations.
I've never seen laser enforcement aimed at the rear plate of a vehicle. No glare involved here either, just legal technicality.

But no matter, the law is the law, whether draconian or picayune. Be advised: depending on where you live, parking enforcement can use it as a convenient source of revenue enhancement.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Man you are killing me on mileage! I thought I was doin good with the 2.8, its way old might be time to find a 3.4l to swap in
I've had several 2.8 and 3.1 engines in different but near identical cars and every time, the 3.1 gets a couple MPG better than the 2.8. The difference with the 3.1 is a longer stroke, which adds a bit of displacement but also adds more lever arm at the crankshaft for more low end torque than if you increased the bore.

Quote:
Awesome job on the boattail, though. Is there any way to get to the trunk, or was it forsaken? My current partial kammback is as long as it can be, because I still need to use the trunk. Well, until I get some extra time and money, and I can design and build a hinged kamm.
I made it so I can get in the trunk in an emergency (flat tire). Everything else I took out of the trunk. The lower rear supports come off the steel rear bumper and are pivots. The upper supports are rods and clips tensioned across the trunk like a bike rack. So if I remove the upper 4 nuts and 2 additional safety bolts, the whole thing will hinge back and lay flat on the ground.

Quote:
There is a thread here about passive venting,
I do have a question about this for the aeromod solid like that. does cabin air work the same? Do ears pop now when they didn't before? GM sedans use the trunk, and seat is a giant air filter.
The tail is anything but airtight. There are small gaps all the way around it, and the bottom is open except for a piece of coroplast held in with tie wraps as a tray for the wiring and to eliminate most drag of any air that may come in through from the bottom.

Quote:
The first thing I thought of when I looked at wagonman's car is a bike rack. You see cars every day with a bumper that is partially hidden by a rack covered with bikes. What is the difference?
Probably because at least here a rack of bikes screams tourist. A tourist can be going 10 mph over the limit in the snow, swaying all over, with no towing mirrors and towing an 8 ft wide enclosed snowmobile trailer with nonfunctioning lights and never have to worry about being ticketed. I see it all the time.

Quote:
You can't see the rear plate on a van/car with the hatch/trunk propped open carrying a ladder, wood, lawnmower, etc. technically illegal, but not enforced.
It's legal if you have a red flag of some sort tied to it, and I have seen that encforced. In reality the red flag doesn't do any good at night though.

Quote:
I've never seen laser enforcement aimed at the rear plate of a vehicle. No glare involved here either, just legal technicality.
What I bet it's for more than anything is red light cameras.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver

Last edited by wagonman76; 06-18-2010 at 12:40 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread